Thursday, August 16, 2007

Algebra / Russian / Limited Comments

We have an upstairs apartment that we originally built for my Mother. When she passed away God provided a way for us to use it as rental space. Our current renters are Phil and Anthony. Phil and Anthony came to us via the AIM (Adventures in Missions) Program. Their particular AIM team did missionary work in Siberia. Their time ended around the time our week of Camp started and that is were we first met. They along with Pat Pugh had a major impact on our youth group.

Phil and Anthony decided to stay with us and continue our College Ministry. In doing so they needed a place to stay and that is how they ended up upstairs. Phil has enrolled at our local Community College and in doing so he must take an entrance test for placement.

So last night after our mid-week service, our beautiful West Cocoa home became a tutoring center for the wonderful world of Algebra. Phil was a bit foggy on operations with “fractional coefficients” and multiplying and dividing polynomials. O.K., how many of you just went, “Ugh!”

Any way, we spent an hour on the couch passing problems back and forth. Then Phil started talking about Russia and how he wished he was taking a test in Russian. Now I said, “Ugh!” The proverbial table began to be reversed as Phil would write a word in Russian and try to get this southern boy to pronounce them, that is, pronounce them correctly. I don’t know why but for some reason I’m craving some “Borsch” right now.

Anybody up for an Algebra story? Several years ago, I took a group of students to see the play, “The Diary of Ann Frank.” In once act of the play, the boy staying with the Franks asks Mr. Frank for help with his “Algebra homework.” Several of my kids leaned over to me and said, “They had Algebra back then Mr. Walker?” I answered, “Yes and just like you, they had problems with it as well!” Some things never change.

Speaking of “change,” I discovered yesterday that those of you on “Theo-Bloggers” are in coveted category. I guess our District Filter doesn’t recognize you as a threat so for the moment I can comment on your blogs from school. Those of us on Blogger, it will have to be as I said yesterday, in the morning or evenings from home.

Thanks for the kind comments in my previous post by the way. Have a good day family.


Comments:
Math is of the devil.
 
I felt really left out on this post. I can't do algebra. I can't speak Russian. I don't like College kids.

Besides that, it was a good post.
 
My web site is not blocked by the county, but don't tell anyone. With all of my questionable content, it may just be a matter of time. Ha!

I did find out that you can now go to your web based email at school–don't know if this is a county change or an indicator that kids don't do email much anymore.

Any mass blogging sites get blocked so just another reason to have your own domain–how long before we see www.cwinwc.com out there.

I like math because there is always a right answer–just like behold the pattern.

Peace.
 
I liked math and especially geometry in school....and still it feels as if you are speaking Russian when you do "math speak".
 
I took Algebra I & II in high school, and trig and stuff (no geometry because my class schedules wouldn't allow it), but don't remember anything about polynomials. Of course, I don't remember much else about Algebra, either, so that doesn't mean much.

And, when I was in school it was back in the dark ages before AP classes and all of that. I probably was a deprived kid and student and didn't even know it! I'm sure I WAS, now that I think about it all!

Thanks for the post, Cecil, and I'm SO glad you can now comment on my blog any time you have free time!! Yea!

Cheers! Dee

P. S. You'll have to go look at the new post I just put up a little while ago over at Finding Direction.
 
jd - Many of my students would agree.

Brady - What about the "Ann Frank" reference?

Puck - I wonder if "Gobel Music" was a Math Teacher?

djg - I wonder if the reason Russians drink so much Vodka is due to their learning their language is like learning math?

Dee - I am too! I loved today's post. Good stuff.
 
I agree 100% w/ jd ... math is of the devil. Fuels the very fires of hell. That said, and seconded, why didn't you just have them email me? You know what an algebraz whiz this boy happens to be!!!
 
Dee:
I am surprised you know nothing about polynomials. It's a collection of two or more nomials! Geez, even I knew that.
Greg
 
I love reading and writing. I hate math. I don't think you should mix numbers and letters... ever.
 
What is WRONG with all you people??
 
I haven't been to Anne's house yet, but do plan on going one of these years.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?