Tuesday, August 28, 2007

An Adult Conversation

I remember growing up in my 70’s / one phone home. As I entered high school it really bugged me that my parents could listen in on my conversations as the only phone we had was in the kitchen was adjacent to our family-room. The kids that actually had a second phone in their room were the envy of many of us.

Of course there were times when the tables were turned. I can remember being asked to go to my bedroom because one of my parents was carrying on an “adult conversation.” I can remember being indignant over the fact that they could listen to my conversations but I couldn’t listen to theirs. Of course with the advent of “cordless phones” and now cell phones this particular family challenge for the most part has been alleviated. I don’t know if that is necessarily a good thing but nevertheless it is the current status.

But last night God allowed Barb and me to hear an adult conversation. We were sitting at the dinner table when the phone rang for Steven. The following conversation is for “Mature Audience” only:

Steven: Hey Zack.

Zack: What are you doing right now?

Steven: Just finishing diner and getting ready to start some homework.

Zack: Do you mind if I came over for a few minutes? I need to pray.

Steven: No problem. Come over and we’ll pray together.

When I was in High School I called my buddies for many things. Prayer wasn’t one of them. I know there are times when we’ve gone over someone’s home to pray with them but it has been a long time. Perhaps it’s time to start having those “adult conversations” again.

Have a good day family.


Comments:
Wow!
That will make any parent proud!
and some of us intimidated....
 
I remember stretching that phone cord just as far as I could. I dread bringing James up in a world of cordless phones...but hope that he will make me proud with his conversations.
 
They are having exams already?? Isn't that why most high school kids pray? :)

With some kids, I would make sure those were not just buzz words to get past parental controls. With the ManChild, you don't have that concern.
 
P.S. My brother used to pull the phone as far as the cord would allow, which was into the bathroom. He would then crawl into a closet and close the door ... as if any of us actually wanted to listen in on his conversations! We never cared much for the girl he was dating, much less what they were saying to each other.
 
Cool!

Peace
Neva
 
Great post, Cecil -

You are raising a fine son!

When I was in high school - way back in the dark ages - and living out on the farm, we not only just had one phone, but were on a party line with some of the neighbors! Each of us had a different set of rings on the phone when the phone rang so we would know which neighbor the calls were for. And, of course, all we had was the old rotary phone with a four digit phone number.

Anyway, the kid across the section on the adjoining farm at the corner would listen in when I talked with boyfriends and interject his own thoughts and it was TOTALLY aggravating, to say the least.

Now, looking back, it just brings smiles.

Dee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?