Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Together

One of the memories I have from the Workcamp are the invitations during the Camp wide worship. Invitations for me bring back a couple of memories. The first was when I was growing up in the Baptist Church. In my particular Southern Baptist Convention church the invitation was like a “Nielsen Rating” of the sermon. If someone or “someone-s” didn’t immediately respond to the invitation we were in for a long one. It was not unusual to sing all of the verses to “Just As I Am” multiple times until someone responded to the invitation. There was always the standard “every head bowed / every eye closed” technique as well. I can remember thinking as a kid, “Will someone please walk forward so we can get out of here.”

As a teen and somewhat into “adulthood” that was now worshiping at a Church of Christ, my thoughts turned to lunch. My thoughts were more along the lines of, “If we can get this invitation over we’ll beat the Baptists (apologies to my Baptist friends) to lunch.” Both of these perspectives are childish and un-Christ like but I was there for a time.

Now I can’t say that I “enjoy” invitations but I’m not in a hurry to get them over either. Each Sunday you know there are multiple people dealing with things such as being lost or sin in their lives that need to respond to the Lord’s invitation which brings me (finally) to my subject. I love the way teens handle an invitation.

At the Workcamp and at most teen functions I’ve been to, no one ever responds alone to an invitation. If someone in the youth group responds, the entire youthgroup goes up with them. They surround that person or persons, lay their hands on them, cry with them, and pray with them. To me it is real and tangible way for that teen to know that they are not alone.

The first night Pat Pugh spoke at the Workcamp there must have been easily over 50 teens that responded to the invitation. Most were up to support someone in their youth group who had responded to Pat’s powerful message about change.

I think the message for us as an adult is; don’t let someone respond to the invitation alone. Do like the teens, go up there with them, sit beside them, and as best as you can, touch them. As Jesus did when he touched the Leper to heal him, touching someone who has responded to the invitation conveys love and healing.

This isn’t your typical “4th of July” post but this was on my heart this morning. May we all remember the sacrifice our men and women in uniform and their families have given for not only the defense of our country but for the world as well.

God bless all of you. Tomorrow we’ll continue our “invitation theme” with a post entitled, “Fly-by.”

Comments:
Cecil, this post struck a chord of memory for me, too. I remember those invitations. I remember more than one preacher standing with tears in his eyes as he extended the invitation over and over.......lots of times to no avail.

I have been both the recipient and the giver of support at response to an invitation. It is a wonderful thing and creates a bond of friendship and love that, hopefully, lasts for a long time.
 
Good one.
 
This is definitely off-topic. But I wanted to take a moment to say I hope you are having a great Fourth of July with family and friends!

May God’s richest blessings be yours,
-bill
Spiritual Oasis Blog
 
Then, there was always all the verses, multiple times, of "Almost Persuaded" and/or "Trust & Obey." Sometimes - often, in MY memory - during "meetings," not only multiple verses were sung, but multiple invitation songs were sung, until the right combination of pathos and guilt hit the one - and there had to be at least ONE sinner among us, hunh?? - person came forward.

Good post, Cecil. Interesting, indeed, and brings back lots of memories.

Dee
 
Happy 4th, bro. Good thoughts.

Peace.
 
I remember being at some type of "inter-denominational" youth event and the speaker, during the invitation, did the "all heads bowed / eyes closed" routine. After a while of not having any responses, he began to talk about all the hands that were going up and I opened my eyes (against all rules of "invitation engagement," I might add) and looked around. The guy was making up responses because he was getting none! I left at that point.

You are right, though, we should surround people at that moment with love and encouragement.
 
that is my favorite thing about my favorite church in Shelby County....they surround any response with a multitude....for a visitor it is often hard to tell who needed the prayers....It is always a blessing to all.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?