Thursday, July 05, 2007

Fly-by

Do you remember the scene in “Top Gun” when “Maverick” requests to do a “fly-by” the Control Tower at the Top Gun Training Facility? In the scene he isn’t given clearance but he decides to do it anyway. The “Air Boss” ends up spilling coffee all over himself and then later on as he’s coming out of the Top Gun’s C.O.’s Office he looks at “Mav” and “Goose” and says something to the effect of, “I want some butt!” Those “fly-by’s” can be frustrating.

This past Sunday one of my fellow elders experienced the frustration of “fly-by invitation responses.” At our church each month, a different elder will stand at the front of the church and await anyone who responds to the Lord’s invitation. As we were singing the invitation song a lady got up and approached Curt.

My brother Curt has been blessed with the gift of encouragement. Curt can not only encourage you with his words but also with his smile and body language. So as this sister comes forward Curt smiles, hugs her, and they begin to talk as you would expect at that moment in a church (now my memory is fading just a bit so bear with me) service.

After a few moments this sister leaves Curt and walks out one of the exit doors. 2 more sisters respond to the invitation and each like the first, hugs Curt, speaks a few words, and then walks out of the Auditorium. After our service Curt came up to me and shared his experience with me which made me flash back to Mav buzzing the Tower.

He said the first sister needed to go downstairs to help with a fellowship meal we were having. The second sister needed to go to the restroom and the third sister was coming up to support the first two who had “responded” to the invitation. I think Curt felt the same sensation I feel when I need to sneeze, I breathe in, and nothing comes out. So my Brother had his tower buzzed 3 times but he hung in there.

Hope all of you had a great 4th. I’m looking for the “Ben-gay ointment” due to helping the “boys” cut our church yard on the 3rd with some serious weed-whacking. Then yesterday on the 4th at the home of our Deacon of Youth and Mohawks, I threw the football, played volleyball, played horseshoes, and swam so my soon to be 49 year old body is talking to me this morning.

Have a great day.

Comments:
Is there only one way out of that "auditorium????" And that's past the elder during the invitation????? :)
 
That's one thing I like about our current multipurpose building–many exits and no front exit to the fellowship hall or restroom–of course a person responding could always back out at the last minute and do a "fly by."

Peace.
 
Judy and Steve - One of the reasons Curt was mystified by our "invitation fly-by's" was due to the fact that our auditorium has exits in the rear. Go figure.
 
Thats pretty funny.
 
cl - Welcome to our little blog church and the West Cocoa Chat.
 
At least it wasn't a "hug 'em and leave 'em" forever fly-by. Those are really tough!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?