Monday, July 30, 2007

"Firsts"

It seems to be the time for “firsts” among this blog community. Of course the latest and greatest “first” is the arrival of “Peanut” Jackson England in beautiful Temecula, California but recently we’ve had Dee move into her new home, Greg changing both career and locale, Randy buying a home, John and Bobby both moved west, Terri has a new office, and I believe Donna is contemplating starting a new ministry.

My 17 year-old son had a couple of firsts for him in the past couple of weeks. The first one was applying for, interviewing, and getting his first job at a clothing store in our local Mall. He was quite proud of the fact that he had zero help from Mom and Dad and we were proud of him as well. In fact, he worked an evening shift on the very day he was called in to be told he had gotten the job.

Then he left for Pascagoula, Mississippi with our youth group to minister to the good folks there trying to recover from Hurricane Katrina. This ministry is overseen by John Dobbs and the Central Church. Steven’s firsts consisted of hanging dry-wall and using several different types of saws. Even after 2 years there are still thousands who haven’t been able to move into their homes. Steven told me the people of Pascagoula were very appreciative of their efforts, many stopping by to them personally.

I’ll leave you with the following – Steven told us that on the first night he worked at his job in the Mall, he was asked an interesting question. Apparently it is the practice of this store to ask all of it’s employees at the end of the day if they had stolen anything. He was told of this procedure during his interview.

When the Manager of the store asked Steven, “Steven, did you steal anything tonight” his answer was, “Only the ladies’ hearts.” Chip off the old block. Have a good Monday family.

Comments:
Chip off of what old block??? :) I shared that with Jessica last night as we were walking the psycho-puppy and she said, "That sounds just like Steven."
 
I love it!!! :)
 
I love a confident man!
 
Steven...Good Answer! I wish I could think that quickly.

It has been an interesting summer in our little blog world!
 
What a terrific answer! I haven't met Steven, but I can tell I would really like him a LOT!

In fact, on my trip Thursday, I met a young man (22) who was in the seat across the aisle from me who is a senior at ACU and he and I became fast friends between Dallas and Abilene. Then, when the plane landed and we went inside, I met both his parents and talked with them a while, along with my sister (who knows them) and my mom.

It was quite fun and Steven sounds like he would be the same way. You've obviously done a good job raising your son, Cecil. Kudos to you and your wife!

Dee
 
Greg - You didn't think all of those guys were looking at Monty in Hollywood did you? Ah, scratch that from the record please.

Judy - Thanks.

that girl - The boy does not lack for confidence most of the time.

djg - I'm with you. I can sometimes think it but rarely do I say it.

Dee - Thanks. It seems that Steven at times shares more of his personality with the people he meets than with Mom and Dad. Come to think of it, I guess most of us were like that when we were teens.
 
My daughter had a first too. It was a sad one. She had her first break up from her first love. He was her first kiss, date, and love. She is hurt, but is handling it. I hope to blog soo about how proud I am of her.

Congrats to Steven.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?