Monday, June 18, 2007

Work of a Father

Don’t you just hate it when a blog or one’s comment to a blog forces you to act in the way you posted or commented? This happened to me on Saturday. My good blog (hopefully to meet at the Mid-Ohio Valley Workcamp) friend Bill Williams posted a (http://spiritualoasis.wordpress.com/) blog concerning “Fatherly Aspirations” in which he asked for us, the home viewer, to add some qualities fathers should aspire to so as to be a more effective father. I made a comment about fathers should be “involved” with their children.

I did not know that God would be listening or reading in because a few minutes later I was put through one of those “put your money where your mouth is” tests. My son Steven who is a confirmed “un-recovering” patient of the “sickness” (an abnormal love for guitars that Greg, Randy, and Patrick have as well.) called a few moments after I had commented on Bill’s blog. He had spent the night with 5 of his buddies all of whom have the “sickness.”

Sidebar – The “sickness” will cause one to have an abnormal desire to visit the nearest “Guitar Center Store.” These individuals if unable to visit GC can be observed facing towards the nearest (for us that would be due west towards Orlando) GC Store when doing everyday tasks such as eating, brushing one’s teeth, or praying. Back to my phone call from number one son.

Steven’s phone call was to ask me if he could drive (45 miles) my Expedition (fondly referred to in our family as the “Expo” / Gas Hog) with his 5 buddies to GC in Orlando. Me being the “involved” father, the same guy who commented on Bill’s blog answered as you would guess, “No!” My reasons were I thought logical:

1. Price of Gasoline
2. Wear and tear on the Expo
3. Wear and tear on my nerves knowing you with 5 other teens were driving to the metropolis we call “Orlando.”
4. I need you to some chores around the house.

You get the idea. Although Steven was disappointed he was polite and said, “O.K. Dad, I’ll be home in a few minutes.” When I hung up the phone I was immediately beset with blog guilt and then I thought, what would my Dad have done? It was a no-brainer. I called Steven back and said, “O.K., I have a counter proposal. How about I drive you and your buddies to GC if you come home and get a couple of things done for me? Shouldn’t take more than one hour.” When Steven said out loud, “You want to drive us to GC Dad” I could hear his buddies saying, “We love you Mr. Cecil.”

Steven came home and gave me a couple of hugs and told me that I had made all of their days. He finished his chores; we picked up the gang, and headed over to “O-town” for a tour of the GC Store. I think I heard Dr. Dobson one time coin the phrase, “Make a memory.” We made one Saturday. Anyone want to send me donations for my gas money?
Now for some pics:
Steven at last Thursday's Stan Musial Wood-bat League game.
Playing short-stop from a distance.
Our Preacher Don running our annual "Dessert Auction" to raise money for our trip to Pascagoula, Mississippi in July.

Chad, our Youth Guy guarding the desserts.

This is what "Ker-bot" (see previous Camp Post)really looks like as Kerston / Dessert Auction Vanna Night.

Here is a shot of our Fellowship Hall and the teens sitting up front. Many of them brought money to bid on the items.


Steven in the middle with sunglasses and white shirt.

This is what happens if you don't bid on any of the items to help our youth - attack of the Jedi! This is Chuck engaged in battle by Tyler who is the cute Grandson of Brett (Our Deacon of Youth and Mohawks) and Sharon.










































Comments:
Good for you! It was worth every penny you spent in gas...right?
 
I'm with "djg". It was worth every penny...every minute. Thanks for the kind words re: the blog post. I look forward to our paths crossing at work camp very soon! -bill
 
djg - Yes it was.
Bill - No problem. I'm looking forward to meeting another blog brother face to face. Don't forget the scraper and paint brush.
 
You're a good dad, Cecil, and a credit to your blogging family!

Thanks for the post, for taking the boys to Guitar Center and keeping them off the roads as young drivers with lots of distractions. That can be a dangerous mix, so you did a VERY good thing!

Happy belated Father's Day!

Dee
 
Dee - Thanks. They are all good boys but you made a very good point about the probability of a wreck going up with all of them in one car and one of them driving. As it was, I had a blast hanging with "the boys."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?