Monday, June 18, 2007

Performance

This post was prompted by something my son said a few days ago and a conversation. At Steven’s game last week he didn’t have one of his better performances. After working his way to the lead-off position on his Stan Musial / Wood-bat League team, of whom most of the players are Junior College / College / out of College players, he went 0 for 2 with a pair of strikeouts last week.

Sidebar- In tonight’s game he went 1 for 3 with a lead-off single, a shot that went to the warning track that was flagged down by the center-fielder, and some nice plays at second. He also got invited to play in a tournament when we come back from the Work Camp.

Any way, on the way home from last week’s game, the first that we had been able to attend, Steven made the following statement about his performance. He said, “Mom, Dad, I’m sorry I let you guys down tonight. I wanted to do better.” Fortunately I had the whereto all to not critique the fact that he watched some good pitches go by but rather I said, “Steven, whether you go 0 for 2 or 4 for 4 doesn’t make a difference when it comes to your mother and me. Our love for you and pride in you is not based on your performance on the field. Rather, it is based on who you are (our son) and how you carry yourself in success and failure.

Nevertheless, he is a product of our society. Ours is a society and even an educational system that asks the question, “What have you done for me today?” Now the question I’m posing here is this, does this “performance based” mentality also permeate those of us who are Christians and does it also influence churches as well?

Recently I had a conversation in which this person told me that our church had become “marked” because of some decisions our leadership had made. Some (but not all) of these churches I’m sure respected and relished help and support from our congregation in the past. It seems however that our performance / agreement with these churches has changed or at least it has in their eyes so now we’re “marked.” Do we in our fellowship really believe in the doctrine of “church autonomy?” It seems at least in my experience even church to church we have this “what have you done for me lately” mentality or moreover, we seem to have a “do you still totally agree with us on every point of doctrine” mentality.

Now, let me state for the record that I am not “blog whining.” In fact, our Brother Pat Pugh pointed out to our teens these verses in Luke 6:

6:22 "Blessed are you when men hate you, and ostracize you, and cast insults at you, and spurn your name as evil, for the sake of the Son of Man.6:23 "Be glad in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for in the same way their fathers used to treat the prophets.

When I think about the source of the persecution Jesus and his followers suffered, his fellow Jews, it seems apparent that it works the same even today and that’s alright. I think I’m starting to understand that if I’m not suffering persecution on a personal level as well as our church from fellow churches, we’re in trouble! Look at what Jesus says causes you to be blessed in verse 22. It isn’t one’s performance but rather if “men” hate you, ostracize you, cast insults (I’ve heard plenty of those through grapevine) at you, and spurn your very name as being evil.

No my blog family, this isn’t a blog of whining but rather a blog of praise as in praise be to God! Our right-standing before God isn’t based on mine or our churches perfect understanding of doctrine. Isn’t that good news!

I’m reminded of the words of Paul in Ephesians 2:

4But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.

Comments:
It is so hard not to become cinical and try and get back at people who hurt you. I thank God for this blog and the encouragement it brings me. God bless you and your church familythrough this time in your walk with Him.
 
Sadly, I think we ARE judged by our performance within the church just like we are in our interactions with the world around us.....maybe even especially in the church. Often, our very own personal faith is often judged by people who think they know us or by factors that may not be, in reality, anywhere close to what they seem to be. Especially if we don't react to a situation in the way the onlookers think they would. And this would go back to the "I have to agree with you on everything you say and do" syndrome or you no longer have my support/respect/love.

I am thankful for you, this blog, for two churches who think they can come together as one in the name of the Lord........and for your response to Steven.
 
Cecil -

You are SO right in your take on this subject. Our theology traditionally, and still in many circles, is solely based on performance and status.

Thanks for the reminders about what our TRUE worth is all about!

Dee
 
I don't want to forget to comment on how you handled things with Stephen. That was an excellent way to talk with him about the things in life that matter most.

Good job as a dad, Cecil!

Dee
 
Last night my son's team suffered their first loss. The team was getting down on themselves and blaming the umpire etc. etc...My son was trying to pump the rest of the team up and kept a great attitude through it all (even an error on his part). I didn't care if he won or lost....He showed a strength of character that made this Mom proud.

They shall know us by our love....why don't Christians think this means us?
 
Keith - Thanks. I know you've been down this path as well.

Judy - It is sad that even friendships can come down to "what have you've done for me lately" as well.

Dee - Thanks Dee. I once knew a preacher that was so into this "performance" mindset that if you said in a conversational way, "I disagreed with something you said the other day" he took it as you were disagreeing with God Himself. Now that is dangerous.

djg - God bless your son. Don't you find it interesting that you can have one kid on your team like your son, who tries to be a positive influence but sometimes has little effect on his teamates. Because the flip side is that it only takes one negative attitude on the team and then the whole team goes down.
 
You have, once again, shown us "the work of a father". Thanks for enriching our lives by sharing yours!

Blessings,
-bill
 
Bill - Thanks. I would probably be posting several times a day if I had to also write about the times I mess up.

Looking forward to seeing you at OVU. I'll be the guy with paint all over him.
 
PAINT?

WHAT YOU TALKIN' 'BOUT?

I thought this was a relaxing trip to the mountains! You mean we've gotta' actually work at work camp?

Look forward to seeing you too!

-bill
 
Well said! Living like we understand grace is a far cry from just talking about it. I worry about those who are compelled to judge another Man's servant. Grace to you, in abundance, Cecil!

Ben
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?