Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Angels?

I'm going to leave this post up one more day so if anyone else wants to share you can.

This past quarter, one of our members, Mike, taught a series on "Finding God and His Glory Through a Study of Angels." We sometime refer to Mike as our "Angel Guy" (the east coast version Steve) since he has done years and years of research on the Biblical aspect of “Angels.” Mike has presented his material at the Spiritual Growth Workshop in Orlando, the Pepperdine Bible Lectures, and in his studies at Harding Grad.

A little sidebar – The first time we had Pat Pugh (a graduate of Harding Grad) speak for us I told him about Mike and how he was going to Harding Grad while working for NASA out at the Kennedy Space Center. Pat’s response was something like, “This guy is working full time and attending Harding Grad; I’d like to meet this “freak of nature.”” Mike is one sharp guy with a shepherd’s (we’ve asked him a couple of times to become an elder but his studies at Harding Grad make it difficult) heart.

In one of Mike’s classes he mentioned that he knew people that had strange encounters they couldn’t explain and that perhaps they had an encounter with an Angel. I was thinking about that the other day so I decided to list a couple of my “strange encounters” and to invite you to do the same. Now, I’m not trying to get us started on a “ghost story” marathon (and with only a few comments in the last few posts it might only become a 50yd dash – is this whining blog style?) but rather to get us to think about the supernatural in Biblical terms.

As most of you guys know we sometimes throw around the terms “conservative” and “liberal” when trying to label folks in our movement. As I understand it in reality we probably have no “liberals” in our movement because in the truest since of that label being used to identify a Christian means that “liberal” denies for the most part the “supernatural” (virgin birth, divinity of Christ, miracles, ect.) aspect of Scripture. However, there are some things such as the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and Angels that fall into that realm that we in our movement sometimes have a hard time talking about, so, lets talk!

Encounter #1:
It was 1979 and I and 2 friends were hiking on the Westside of Rocky Mountain National Park. We had veered off a trail called “Cascade Falls” to actually find a “shortcut” (which when hiking always seems to lead to a “long cut” instead) to the noise of the Falls that we could hear below us. The good news (I promise, no “underwear” jokes here) was we found the Falls. The bad news was after a couple of hours of exploring we couldn’t find the trail that would lead us in one direction to our backcountry campsite or at the very least, in the other direction back to our car.

Now, we weren’t endanger of dying or doing anything like the “Survivor Guy” does on the Discovery Channel but nevertheless we were somewhat disconcerted having difficulty finding the trail. At some point in our “lostness” we came across a kid who appeared to be between 10 to 12 years old. He was unaccompanied by any adults and he seemed quite at ease with himself. In fact, he asked us (all 3 college boys) if we needed help. We sheepishly told him of our struggle. He politely pointed in one direction and told us we were just a few yards from the trail.

After cutting through the tree a few yards he was right, we re-discovered our trail. We turned around to thank him for his assistance and he was gone. There was no trace of him or anyone else. At the time I did not chalk it up to an “Angel encounter” but looking back at it in retrospect I wonder.

Encounter #2:
It was 1983 and Barb and I had been married a couple of years. She had to have some surgery and when she got out of the hospital we decided to stayed with my in-laws for a week since our 12 X 50 trailer didn’t have a walk-in shower. The first night at my in-laws was a long night. Barb was having trouble sleeping due to her incision staples and all. I had to help her out of the bed to get to the bathroom. She finally fell asleep around 3am and we were both exhausted.

We were sleeping in the master bedroom and had the door closed. Sometime during the night I became aware of the door opening and the air pressure changing due to someone entering the room. I assumed it was one of my in-laws but I couldn’t imagine why they would be in our (their) room this early in the morning. I could feel their footsteps as “they” came beside our bed, stopped, and then exited the room with what I thought was the door closing.

A few minutes later Barb needed my help again to get out of bed in order to get to the restroom. As I was helping her up she asked me who had come into our room. Until she has asked that question I had almost believed I was having some kind of weird dream. Now I was puzzled and alarmed. I went to the room where my in-laws were sleeping and asked them if they had been our room? When they replied “no” my radar was really peaked. My father-in-law and I searched the house for any sign of forced entry or burglary. Everything was locked and secured.

When Barb and I began to de-brief about the incident my father-in-law simply said, “Maybe it was the Lord?” I don’t know about the Lord but perhaps we had been visited by an angel? For the rest of that night and the week Barb was able to rest through the night.

O.K., if you've hung in there long enough I’ve opened the door. Feel free to share to laugh at me.

Comments:
No angel encounters here and no ridicule, either. (As overly sensitive and emotional as I am, you'd think I would have encountered at least one!) But I know people close to me who have. Also dreams that were prophetic. My mother believed in this very strongly and had several incidents. Doris also has had these, especially the dreams, and after all, lots of folks in the Bible were warned of things to come in dreams, weren't they? I don't think she (Doris) would mind my relating this story to you.

Years ago (1971), she got up one morning uncomfortable about a dream she'd had involving a head-on collision. In her dream, the couple involved were her niece and her husband. Although they were faceless, she knew in the dream that's who it was. The man was dressed in a white shirt and khaki pants. She was even concerned enough to call her sister (the niece's mother) and ask if they were okay. Two days later, her brother (wearing a white shirt and khaki pants-this was a trademark of his) and sister-in-law were killed in a head-on collision.

Now, I know that happened. But I've always wondered why the dream was not about the right people?

Not exactly an angel encounter, but........

Back to the discussion about the Spirit's indwelling and angels, I've only recently come to understand even a little about the Spirit. (I recommend Greg's friend Terry Rush's book "The Holy Spirit Makes no Earthly Sense.") Still don't understand all I need to, but I have arrived at knowing when I feel an urge to do certain things, or I am reminded of a certain passage out of the blue that helps me deal with something, I am being prodded by the Spirit. There's an e-mail that floats around every once in a while, and I can't remember all of it, but it's something like, "If you feel a need to bake a cake (or any other kind gesture) for your next-door neighbor, that's God!"
 
I love this...and would never laugh. I will think tonight if I can remember some of my times....even on our trip to Pepperdine...that are worth sharing. Too many times I have been stirred in a right direction for it to be coincidence.
 
I wold only laugh with you about this one bro. Angels are out there. I'm no expert like Mike, but I'm a believer.

Ellen and I ran out of gas. As I was leaving my family on foot, a man happened along in his truck with, you guessed it, a 5 gallon can of gasoline in his truck. What luck!! Right?? Wrong!!

As he put the gas into the tank, refused any pay for it and just mysteriously drovef away. As we saw him top a hil in front of us we topped the hill behind only to not see him. There were no roads on which to turn. He just was not there. Ellen was and still is convinced that it was an angel.
 
After my husband died, I had a particularly horrible day. Everything was still tied up in probate and I was struggling to try and care for two young sons and a foster son on very little money plus I really missed him.
I had spent most of the day crying. It was just after four in the afternoon and I was exhausted. I told the boys I was going to lie down for a short time. As I was lying there, (sleeping?) my husband came to lie beside me. He told me not to cry and that I was doing a great job with the kids and that everything would be okay. I woke up, totally refreshed, my eyes were not red, my nose not congested. I looked at the clock and only seven minutes had passed. Now, I don't know if God sent an angel, a ministering spirit or a temporary delusion. I do know that satan does not comfort God's people and so I chose to give God the glory for whatever it was.

Interestingly, I spoke at the LCU ladies lectureships later that year and I told this story. No less than twelve women came to me or emailed me afterward with similar experiences after a significant loss.

I am grateful I don't have to understand all that God does to accept it.

Peace
Neva
 
Judy - Now I never thought about including dreams like the one Doris had. Thanks for sharing.

djg - I have come to believe more and more in God's moving in our lives and less and less in coincidence. Come back and share one of your encounters.

Keith - Thanks for sharing your encounter. I'm with Ellen.

Neva - My mother had a similar encounter with my father soon after he had passed away. I almost shared that one but decided not to do so. Thank you for sharing yours. I still remember my Mom sharing her story with me and saying, "You don't think I'm losing my mind do you?"

I assured her that I didn't and that God is good.
 
Sounds reasonable to me. Except that second encounter freaks me out!
 
The summer after my divorce, my mamaw had a heart attack. I was so distraught that I couldn't even make clear thoughts. The only thing I knew was that I needed to talk to Jeff, the ex-husband. I called his store and the girl got him on the line.

The angel part was his version of the story...

He had been outside the back of the building using a weedeater and heard my voice call his name. He looked around but didn't see me. He went back to his weedeating and heard me again. He looked but didn't see me. When he heard me the third time, he turned off the weedeater and started to walk around the store. The clerk came outside and told him that I was on the phone. When I told him what happened, he said, "I know, I heard you."

Who can explain that stuff?
 
Randy - it did us too!
That Girl - Thank you for sharing your encounter. My wife had a similar encounter when I was involved in an accident. She said she heard me call her name out while she was at home and I was involved in the accident.
 
Cecil -

I'm about two days late and a bunch of dollars short, but I want to chime in here with one of my angel stories. I think I have more than one, but this is the most recent and the only one I can recall at the moment - but it is a very clear one to me and I've been attributing it to God and to one of His angels ever since.

About two and a half years ago, we were over on the Mississippi Gulf Coast visiting good friends and went out for most of the evening. We parked in a big parking garage while we were out in a tight space next to a ja-gunda truck that took up about a parking space and a half. Apparently, the truck driver didn't like having company in the next space over, because unbeknownest to us, he slashed one of the tires on the passenger side of our car.

It was late before we left that parking garage to drive back home some 45 miles or so and I was driving because Tom was not feeling well. Normally we would have taken Interstate 10 to drive home with speed limits of 70 mph, but that night I decided to be more cautious and head back home along the beach road, with speed limits of 45 mph.

Just as we entered Pass Christian, Mississippi, the tire blew out, but I was able to bring the car under control and pulled over near the only red light in town on the highway there along the beach. It was very late, about midnight, and we had no had the Honda Accord very long, having recently purchased it as a late model used car. So neither of us was familiar with how to go about changing a tire, nor was either one of us really very capable of doing so due to our health and all. We had no idea what had happened at that time, of course - just knew the right front tire had blown.

As I pulled over, we got out of the car and popped the trunk, a young black man pulled up directly behind us, jumped out of his non-descript car and immediately took charge setting the jack up and changing the tire out for the "donut" tire in no time flat.

We had no idea where he had appeared from or why he did what he did. He said he had been at the lone gas station directly across the street pumping gas, had seen us pull over, had left there, turned around and come back around to help us out and that he was an off-duty Pass Christian policeman.

However, he had no identification and was in a rather plain looking car and refused all of our pleas to give him some money for his help. Besides that, the road is four lane there with a divider in the middle and near an intersection and we could not figure out how he came from where he said he did to show up directly behind us facing the same way!

I was totally convinced then, and remain so to this day, that he was an angel who God sent to help us out in our desperate time of need. It was all to pat and "co-incidental" in how it happened, I'm tellin' ya.

Dee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?