Friday, June 15, 2007

Age

Isn't age interesting? When we first start out we strive and strive to be older. I can remember thinking I can't wait to be 16,18, and then 21. Then all of sudden at some point, we want to the age train to slow down or go in reverse. This past week there have been a couple of folks close to us who have celebrated birthdays and have missed their correct age. A close friend told us on the morning of his birthday, he walked around for most of the day thinking he was 57. This was disconcerting to his wife for she knew her age by subtracting a certain number of years off his correct age. She suddenly found herself older than she once thought until our friend’s sister corrected our friend on the phone by promptly telling her brother that he was now 56, not 57. This made his wife happier.

I hesitate to share this next story with you but its Friday and we all could use a laugh. When I was 16 (and knew it) a number of my friends and I decided to visit a “Cheers –like” establishment to get at their cool pool tables. At the time the legal age was 18 of which none of us were so we devised an ingenious (remember, we were all teens so that should tell you something about our mental capacity) plan, one that included stealth, cunning, and sheer creativity. We would use the old, “I forgot my wallet with my I.D.” trick! Brilliant, yes?

Our plan had one serious flaw, this scheme would require all of us be able to apply mathematics (or as Jethro would say, “ciphering”) to be 18! So, we walked up to said establishment and were promptly met by the Bouncer. He asked for I.D. from these baby-faced (can you imagine me, baby face?) intruders and out came the plan. If I remember right, the dialog went something like this:

Bouncer – “Where do you think you “boys” are going?”
Boys – “Boys?” I’m sorry Sir, you must be mistaken. We just got off work and all shaved so we could look good for the ladies.”
Bouncer – “Oh really. O.K., I need you “men” to show me some I.D.”
Boys – (thinking, “we got him!”) Oh, we left our wallets at home. You know, the stress of work these days.”
Bouncer – (quickly pointing at one of my friends) “O.K. Buckwheat, what year were you born?”
Friend – “19-blank-blank.”
Us – (thinking “Brilliant, he didn’t hesitate. Let the games of 8-Ball begin.”)
Bouncer – “Great job Buckwheat, that would make you 17! Now take your boys and get out of here!”

You might say God was looking out for us that day. Age, it’s a maddening thing. Now for the question, do you know or want to know how old you are? Do you have a time when you missed how old you were? Your story like mine I’m sure will be one for the “ages.”

Have a good weekend.

Comments:
Math is the tool of Satan!
 
As a teenager I "looked" older than I was...I never got carded at movies or anything. When I was in my late 20's I was buying cigarettes for a friend (really, I don't smoke) and they carded me....I thanked them!
 
First, I agree with Greg. Second, that story reminds of me the great Roger Miller song Chug A Lug. Third, I can never remember my own age. I blame Greg's point. Finally, I think there could be a whole chapter in the Screwtape Letters about how to use people's dissatisfaction with their current age to keep them from every being content.
 
I know how old I am and I've never had trouble remembering how old I was until just recently, which makes me think that alzheimer's has begun to set in, depressing as that seems.

There are a couple of ages I'd love to go back to in some ways, but not really. If I went back any time at all - even a minute or two - I would know less than I know now and be one minute or two further in distance from that time when time will be no more and we'll be the "perfect" age through all of eternity!
 
Yes, I know how old I am. But the thing that is encouraging to me about age is finding out that I really feel the same inside about a lot of things as I did when younger. Yes, yes, I know about all the aches and pains and maturing thoughts, etc., but basically I find I look at life pretty much the same way as I did 20 years ago about many feelings and issues of life.

The times I can remember wishing I was a different age than I was/am had to do with a crush I had on someone considerably OLDER than I was, so I wished I was older. Then much later, in a similar circumstance, I wished to be YOUNGER!!! :)
 
Greg - The real question is will there be "math" in Heaven?
djg - I know that feeling.
Josh - I think you hit a first with our first "Chug A Lug" comment.
Dee - That could be another post, if you could what age would you go back to?
Judy - It seems age is both relavant and maddening.
 
Dee - Thanks for adding the "Angel Encounter" on my previous post.
 
No trouble with my age. Just take wife's age and take off a year. Of course here, it is a mortal sin to even want to know the age of a woman. I have lost friends because of that question.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?