Tuesday, May 08, 2007

West Cocoa Sense

I meant to blog about this conversation last week at Pepperdine but I got distracted. I know, what’s to be distracted by besides the mountains, the Pacific Ocean, the cool weather, or rooming with the Puckster, Joe Carr, Keith, and Greg?

Any way, the Sunday I was at Greg’s in Long Beach I decided to call my soon to be 17 year old son, Steven. When I first came to Pepperdine some 16 years ago, to talk to Steven meant Barb had to hold the phone and the extent of our conversation was, “Hi Daddy.” Oh do I miss those times.

16 years later our conversation on Sunday went something like this:

Me: Hi Steven. What are you up to?
Steven: Mr. Brett (our Youth Deacon) is giving me a Mohawk.
Me: Oh, Really?
Steven: Yeah, Mr. Brett is cool.
Me: Yes (as I’m wondering if an elder can “fire” a deacon for giving his son a Mohawk) he is.
Me: Ah Steven, do you mind telling me why Mr. Brett (who up to this point was a good friend of mine) is giving you a Mohawk?
Steven: Because I’m going to help him get a chicken coop.
Me: Oh, well that makes sense.
Steven: Well Dad, I have to go so Mr. Brett can finish my Mohawk.
Me: O.K., well I love you and tell Mr. Brett (I’m going to kill him) I said hello.

When I hung up some of the SoCal folks asked me how everything was back home. My answer was, “Everything seems fine. Our youth deacon is giving Steven a Mohawk so he can help him get a chicken coop.” I know someone had to be thinking, “What kind of place do you come from?” My answer, "Beautiful downtown West Cocoa, Florida." It’s a place where kids can be kids and get Mohawks from their youth deacon for helping procure chicken coops for their yards.

Don’t you wish you lived here?

Comments:
I believe I would fit right in....scary thought.
 
Sorry, but I kept thinking that the youth deacon was going to get a haircut from your son called "the chicken coop." The Mohawk I've seen, but didn't know what the chicken coop cut was…
 
I think I live close enough from where I am!
 
Does anybody else hear banjo music?
 
I would really like to know this connection. Is this the kind of "favor" someone does for each other?
 
I think I live close enough, too! That's worse than Tom wanting to let his hair grow out so that he can have a pony tail. Yuck! I HATE long hair on men. (For the record, in case any of you care.)

And I thought it bad when my son David had "kinda" long curly hair. But then at 17 he went to the U. S. Naval Academy and then into the Marine Corps, so that was the end of that. Forever.

Good luck, Cecil. (And I've seen picturese and Steven was such a good looking kid!)

Cheers! & BLessings to you all today! Dee
 
djg - We're always looking for honorary "West Cocoans."

Brady - I don't think I want to give our Youth Deacon any ideas.

Greg - Come on Greg, how about a Funeral Director with a mohawk?

Randy - That would be fiddle music.

Keith - It is in West Cocoa.
 
Dee and everyone - The Mohawk lasted for one day. Now his hair would pass for (as my National Guard buddy would say) "high and tight."
 
And they say that California is weird.

My wv is "iraqs" Now, THAT'S weird.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?