Thursday, May 03, 2007

Pepperdine Rock

If you look to the far right you’ll see the “Rock” that Joe Carr and I ascended to earlier today. The Rock and visits to it have become an annual part of my Pepperdine experience. We discovered the Rock several years ago when we were housed in a vacant Faculty Member’s Apartment at one of the highest points on the campus. Ray was with us that year and being an infantryman he “reconned” the surrounding area and discovered a trail that leads to an outcropping of rock that overlooks the Pepperdine Campus, Malibu, and Pacific Ocean.

Last year the Chuckster (we miss you Chuck) and I walked from our apartments to the Rock. Most of the way is very steep and limits the length of conversations as you ascend. When Chuck and I were almost at the end of the road and at one of the steepest points on the way up, a Pepperdine Maintenance man made a comment to us which was probably prompted by all of the huffing and puffing we were doing. As we passed him he said, “Hey, we call this “Jenny Craig Hill.” I would have told the gentleman in a Christian sort of way to “shut up” but I was out of breath.

The Rock has been the scene of many a night were Greg, myself, and various other folks spent the night in prayer. There’s something about being up above most everything on the campus, being able to hear the ocean far below, and seeing the lights of the coast that drives you to prayer. We’ve shared a lot of things on the Rock.

A few years ago, the Rock was the scene of a conversation Greg and I had with Chuck concerning his walk with the Lord. I’ll never forget that talk for it was just a few weeks later that Chuck was baptized into Christ!

This year Joe (youth minister from Melbourne) and I made the hike. It was good to get to know Joe better. Joe has worked for us at the Bible Camp but our walk and stop at the Rock afforded time for deeper conversation. I’m so impressed with Joe as I have been over the years at Camp. I was thankful to God for his company and our conversation.

Tomorrow (Friday) we leave Pepperdine. Keith has to be at LAX in the morning so we’re driving him to the airport and then heading on down to Greg’s. I will insert myself into the England Family one more time with attending Jessica’s graduation for Azusa Pacific. I fly back on Sunday.

I’m going to miss a lot of things. As Greg resigns from preaching at Long Beach to work with Josh in Temecula, I’m going to miss the LB Church. This is a special group of folks that have become my second / west coast church family. I pray that God will send the right family to work with these folks.

I’m going to miss Greg’s home in LB. This home holds a lot of special memories for me. My son grew up here over the years of our visits and even my dearly departed Mother spent time with us in Greg’s home.

So enough of memory lane; I thank God that He has provided me with ways over the past 16 years to attend the Lectures at Pepperdine and to be with Greg and his family.

Comments:
What a great week. May you go back to Florida blessed.
 
Don't worry about losing a west coast home. I'm sure you'll always be welcome at LB. And I think that Stockton and Fresno have homes for you also.

So glad you've all enjoyed the week.
 
It was great Cecil. I really enjoyed Sunday ezpecially with you at Long Beach. That will be a memory I will always cherish. Thanks for your shepherd heart brother. I will continue to pray for you in the merge and all the things that come with that. God love you my brother.

Hey, I hope my family can come to Cocoa next year with the baseball team. That would be awesome to worship with you guys after the merger.
 
The rock has held some very special moments, but none so special as the one you mentioned about Chuck! We have a lot of years under our belts, bro, and I hope our move to Temecula and my change of professions does not change this relationship. If for no other reason, I may need someone to spend the day in the mortuary attic again!!
 
Thanks for the post, Cecil, and your thoughts on the Rock. What wonderful memories.

I wondered when you were going back home because I knew Greg said they had a very busy weekend. I'm glad they'll have you for company and companionship with them a while longer.

Y'all all need to make a trip next year down here to the creek behind our house. It's downhill all the way, but a fairly steep climb back up the hill to the house. But then we can all sit on the big screened in back porch and visit while Tom smokes ribs or a big brisket!

Just my idea of something new, but fun and meaningful y'all can do. We'll even give you a place to sleep.

Cheers! & Blessings to you all today! Dee
 
Brady - Thanks

Steve - Thanks and I hope I get to visit my "homes" in Fresno and Stockton.

Keith - Baseball or no baseball, you need to bring the family to our place for the Beach, the Space Center, and Disney.

Greg - If Chipper is in Temecula then the deal is sealed. Next year I'll be Temecula bound. Please save space in the mortuary acttic for me.

Dee - We need to make that trip and anything bbq is a deal maker as far as I'm concerned.
 
The rock is a special place. We missed you guys on Friday night. I will write more about what happened when I get my sea legs back under me.

Good to be "bunk" mates again!

Peace.
 
Cecil it was a great blessing to meet you finally. What a blessing Pepperdine has become. There is a possibility I will be in FL in the not to distant future. But if I don't see c-you there ... next year at Pepperdine.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
What precious memories you've shared. And what a wonderful story of fellowship and love.
 
It was great meeting you. I enjoyed our meal together on Thursday night
 
Puck - I too enjoyed being "bunk mates" as I have in all the years at Camp. Thanks for finding my Bible. Perhaps we can hook up at Charlie's and Jake's?

Bobby - I enjoyed our brief meeting at Coogies. Let me know the "when and where" when you arrive in the Sunshine State. I would love to see you.

Judy - I hope you can make the trip in the future and join us.
 
djg - You can't have a better "first meeting" than meeting over tri-tip!
 
The hike to the rock was a fun experience. In the midst of life's turmoils, we all need a moment to catch our breath and get a better perspective from above. Thanks for sharing that with me. I hope to share that with others.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?