Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Last Day

When I got up this morning I could not help but think about the concept of a “last day.” I don’t know which is worse or better, a last day expected or a last day that presents itself suddenly. With the death of both my parents I experienced their last day in each way.

In 1988 I was a slimmer version of my present self and sports dominated my life. I was playing basketball in our City League and my Dad was the scorekeeper. I played in the first game and then sat beside him as he kept score in the 2nd game. We had a great talk that night and although I can’t remember the content the tears in my eyes as I type remind me of how much I miss his wisdom and love. As my wife and I pulled into our garage the call came that my Dad had suffered a major heart attack and we needed to come to the hospital. He died that night and perhaps due to weak faith, it threw me for a loop that took some time to get over. I was hacked with God and anything that had to do with Him.

About 10 years ago my mother passed away. We knew her “last day” was coming because her lung (never smoked a day in her life) cancer had come back with a vengeance. We spent the last day in her ICU Room remembering the past, thanking her for her unwavering love, and telling her it was O.K. to go be with Dad. As a Great Uncle of mind once told me, “It’s one thing to lose your Daddy but when you lose your Mama, that really hurts. She’s the one that brought you into this world and she’s the one that always asked if you were hungry.” He was right but for some reason (again, it could have been due to a more mature faith) I weathered my Mom’s death “better.”

Working as a teacher for 26 years the “last day” is special. Now, it’s not because we want to get rid of the kids. No, I take that back, there are a few of them I want to get rid of, a very small number. I guess I’ll put it this way. I once had a Principal who said on the first day back for teachers, “This building is an empty shell without you and the kids. It is a glorified office building but when teachers and kids fill it’s rooms, it becomes a special place.”

I agree with that statement whole-heartedly. Each year our building takes on a personality when the kids enter our halls. Ironically on the last day although there is great joy in looking forward to the summer on the parts of teachers and kids, there is sadness as well. Something that once had life is coming to an end and will never be in existence again. I pray for all the kids that have had me that they are somewhat “better” for having the experience.

I may complain at times about teaching but I love this job. It is my passion and I believe God wired me to be a teacher. I know I will miss it when my “last day” comes and I hopefully retire. Today is the last day for my son to be a Junior in high school. Starting tomorrow he will start this last phase of this part of his life. Its hard to believe.

Thanks for reading family.

Comments:
Hope ya have a great summer,


oh and thanks for xplaining the "granny shot" was worrired there a min! :)
 
I too remember my dad's last day. It was not what we wanted, but watching him suffer for nearly 2 months to just take a breath mad it easier to see him stop, knowing he could get any better.

Man, I really miss him. It's just one more reason to look forward to our "last day" in this world. That means getting to be together again with family and with the Lord in person!!
 
There will always be something special about the last day of school. But I enjoy the last couple of weeks leading up to them also. It's great knowing that the time is short.

Now, the last couple of days of summer vacation...that's a different story.
 
I remember my ex-mother-in-law (mother-outlaw?) when her father died... She just cried, "Who will take care of me, now?"

I attended a Middle School Honors Day this morning. It was great and I can see how the people make it more than a building. The sixth grade boys waited until the girls were all seated then sat in empty spaces and on the floor. The 7th & 8th didn't do that but I thought about the teacher (or parents) that were training them to be courteous men.
 
The last day of school had such a feeling of freedom. I miss that day!
 
I wish I had a last day.....for the summer....
 
I'm with Donna.

I remember a guy I went to High School with that said at the end of school that he wanted to be a beach bum. Not many beaches in Tennessee. We all thought he was an idiot. Now...I think he might have been on to something.
 
Last days signify many things, some joyful, some sad. I felt sad as you described the last days with your folks and as some of the commenters alluded to this kind of last day. I've been through that kind of last days with my parents, as well as with a brother last year. Recently, I've experienced a couple more last days, neither of which were any easier.........the last day of another brother's physical and mental health, and one day soon, I will see the last day that he will recognize me. I also have recently experienced the last day of a relationship and communication with someone I care for deeply...........not much fun.

But the last day of school? I remember those very well, too. Fun, fun, fun! Also, in the past few months, I had a last day of a career and the beginning of the next chapter in my life - retirement! Great fun!!! :)
 
I well remember the last day w/ your dad. Huge event in our lives. Wish I could have been there for Jean's last day. I was there for my dad's but not mom's. And I'm quickly coming upon my last day to be in the pulpit!
 
Have a glorious summer vacation, anticipating the "first day".

Peace
neva
 
I tried to comment on your last day, but the site wouldn't let me. So, on your first day of the true summer, I wish you the best. Enjoy reading the paper and drinking that coffee and sinking that putt. And I know you'll do real well with shepherding too.
 
Cecil,

I've met your though Dee's interview. Last days are so sad. I'm deeply grateful to be part of a forever family where seperation means that the last day will morph into a foever day.

God bless you and your summer break.

Ben Overby
 
I heard the juniors at Bayside yesterday hollering "We'r seniors now" as they exited the building.

You are a gifted teacher, my brother.

Peace.
 
jel - No problem

Keith - My kind of family reunion.

Steve - Don't depress me already. I'm free!

That Girl - Those 6th graders are impressive.

Randy - I get the same feeling when I walk out of a Pepperdine lecture.

djg - Do we need to give preachers a "sermon free summer?"

TCS - I think so.

Judy - You have us all beat with your "Last Day of work."

Greg - Hard to believe you won't be the LB guy any more.

neva - Thanks.

Brady - Its nice being job free and an elder during the summer. It becomes my "day job."

Ben - my kind of summer brother.

Puck - Thanks.
 
Well said. It made me think of the difference between those last days that come whether we want them or not like the ones you described and the "last days" we try to manufacture when we are trying to change. No matter how sincerely we might declare, "this is the last day I will eat Krispy Kremes for breakfast" or "this is the last day I will live this lie" or whatever it may be, we can not manufacture the weight that comes from an organic last day driven by the passage of time. Somehow it is a helpful reminder that we are never in as much control as we think we are.

And thank God for that.
 
Good post. Brought back a lot of my own memories.

Thanks.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?