Monday, May 14, 2007

Jesus at a Garage Sale?

We had a busy and productive weekend. On Friday we held the Cocoa High Baseball Team Banquet at our church. We had numerous complements on our facility and our willingness to allow them to use it as well having used our bus earlier in the year to drive to an away game. We even had a couple of parents who said, “I need to visit you sometime.” You never know how seeds can be planted for the Lord.

On a personal note, Steven was awarded his second Varsity pin as well as receiving an academic award for “Outstanding Academic Achievement.”

Then we did one of my favorite activities on Saturday – Garage Sale. Not! But nevertheless I still had fun. The proceeds went to our youth group to pay for their fuel and lodging at the Mid-Ohio Valley Workcamp. We held the garage sale on the front steps of our church that faces U.S. 1. It was a great location and we literally had a bus pull over to the side of the road to peruse our wares.

In the course of all the hustle and bustle of a garage sale the Lord allowed ministry to take place. In one case an elderly lady from the local Assembly of God Church, felt comfortable enough to ask for prayers for her Grandson, Niko. I loved how she started the conversation, “I don’t know anything about your church but would you pray with me?” Her 23 month old grandson has leukemia and is going through chemo treatments.

The lady that organized and ran our garage sale, Lee, got the attention of several of us, allowed this dear sweet lady to tell us about Niko, and then suggested we go over to the side and pray for Niko. Jesus shows up in the strangest places sometimes, even a church garage sale.

Sunday was a great day of worship at Central and it marked the first Sunday that Don started preaching for not only us but Discovery as well. Keep us in your prayers as we continue to work towards the unity that Jesus prayed for in John. Hope your weekend was as exciting.

Comments:
I thought you were going to write about what would Jesus buy at a garage sale! WWJB@GS

It was still a good post though…
 
I'm more likely to lose my religion at a garage sale, I think. Maybe I should try a little harder! :)
 
It is amazing where God will show up when we acknowledge his presence. Sounds like a great weekend.
 
By the way, Tuttle and I ask Goldfarb if he was on as Cocoa Baseball coach . . . I don't think he has been informed yet!?!

I know God will bless the unity of his people. May your tribe increase.

Peace.
 
Twas the weekend for sales. Our church had its yearly parking lot sale and made over $4,500 for summer camp. Then another church let it be known they were having a sale in two weeks to raise money for a mission work in Africa, so they came by and took everything that didn't sell at our sale to sell at theirs. We've had some very interesting "Jesus momements" at the sale in the past.
 
The above was not from Janice. It was from Stoogelover / The Rev / Greg / Hey, you! / and other names that are not appropriate for family viewing.
 
The more our hearts are open to the leading of the Holy Spirit, the more he will "show up" in our lives. I wonder how many times He's tried to reveal things to me and I was not able to see it because of spiritual blindness. I'm glad you could see the opportunity.
 
Please keep us posted on the progress of the church. It's so exciting to see the things we hope for play out in real life.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?