Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Have You Forgotten?

My routine most mornings on my drive to school is to bounce around the radio listening to Contemporary Christian Music, Sports Talk Shows, Classic Rock, or listening to a C.D. If I’m in my “C.D.” mode lately I’ve started off with the song, “Have You Forgotten.” Probably not most people’s first choice off a C.D. but it strikes a chord in my “traditional / historical” heart.

Seems like “forgetting” is part and parcel of the human condition. The song “Have You Forgotten” speaks to the phenomenon of how we’ve so quickly forgotten the 9/11 Attacks. In Lynn Anderson’s book (give to me by Greg – good read buddy) “Longing for a Homeland,” he mentions a plaque / grave marker at a cemetery in England. On the plaque are the names of 50 young soldiers from New Zealand who were stationed in England during WW1. On the marker are the words, “We Shall Never Forget.”

Lynn writes about going to the local museum to inquire about the incident that inspired this plaque with such loft words. No one in the museum or in the town could remember the apparent sacrifice of these young men and so the plague in essence was a lie. They had forgotten.

I know, that’s a pretty extreme example but how many times has someone asked me to do something for them or better yet, pray for them and I’ve forgotten. I can blame it on my busy schedule or the fact that I’m almost 50 but nevertheless, I forgot. We had a new couple at our church a couple of years ago who invited us over for dinner with another couple. I accepted and said we’re looking forward to it. Guess what – I forgot. I still look at this sister today and cringe about that goof.

When I think about our weekly observance of the Lord’s Supper I know like some, I’ve said that if we’re not careful, our communion service will become mundane and we’ll just be going through the motions. Today I realize that the larger danger is that we’ll forget about the power that conquered death and then live like we’ve forgotten.

When you get a chance today, concentrate of the wonderful love of our father who manifested His love for us through His son Jesus and what he did for us at the Cross.

Have a great day family.
I Cor. 15:50 – 57
1Co 15:50 I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.” 55 “Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” 15:56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Comments:
"Have you forgotten?" I'm 54 and, yes, I've forgotten pretty much everything ... including what I was going to respond to this blog!
 
Comments from yesterday post:
Judy - Yes and let me add a "bam" with that. I wonder about our "energy source" as well. I can tell you that both Barb and I were feeling the effects on Monday morning. I'll have to ask Mike what he does when he travels to Harding Grad and get back with you.

jel - Thanks and welcome.

Dee - My in-laws ask the same question you asked yesterday. It must be the "ging-sing" IV? Thanks for posting my interview. It was fun.
 
Did you forget to post the comments yesterday?

I hate how much I forget....but all I can do is strive to do better. Part of that for me is to be PRESENT in every thing I do....which for me is very difficult.
 
I'll try to remember not to forget
 
djg - Now that was a good ("did I forget to post the comments") comment. I know what you mean about being "present." My wife will usually start a conversation with me by turning off the t.v. and computer and then say, "Now that I have your attention...."
 
I think a lot of people HAVE forgotten 9/11, Cecil. To our detriment, I'm afraid.

This is a good post on not forgetting. We DO need to remember not to forget.

Thanks!

Dee

P. S. I LOVED your interview responses. They were lots of fun and y'all need to stop by here at Finding Direction to read find out all of Cecil's secrets!
 
Left ya Q? over at DEE's
 
When you've been there you don't forget.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?