Thursday, May 17, 2007

Camp Part 2

At this time last year, things were anything but encouraging. We had been asked by CFBC to un-invite Pat Pugh. I knew that God would have used Pat in a powerful way to reach our kids just as he had done the previous year at the Mid-Ohio Valley Work Camp. Of course the rest is history.

This year I joined the “Pat Pugh Club” by being un-invited from Camp just before the Pepperdine Bible Lectures which by the way came at a great time in my life. So, the thought of putting me, my Camp Partner Steve, and a Bible Camp of any kind together seem to be a distant dream. This would not happen in a 1000 years. Well, God has an interesting sense of timing.

In a conversation at Pepperdine, the Melbourne Youth Minister, Joe, told me he had found a Camp with our week open. At the time I wasn’t too high on his offer. I was in the middle of my own personal “pity party” and was having a good time. Then God began to open my eyes.

First came a Wednesday night meeting at AWP (Associated Women of Pepperdine) pie night with one of the Melbourne elders, Don. Don expressed to me how Melbourne was outraged by what had happened at Camp and they were committed to making Bible Camp happen. My eyes opened a little more.

Then I had a conversation with Steve who reiterated Don’s message, Melbourne was committed to making Camp happen. Then it hit me, hey, we can still have Bible Camp. I began to realize the funk I had been in was due to feeling sorry for myself because something that was such a part of my being, Bible Camp, had been taken away. My giddy up returned.

This past Friday our two Youth Ministers, Chad and Joe took a tour of the new camp. There were some things better and some thing “not so better.” But there were two keys I couldn’t get away from:
1. “Our week” was opened.
2. They (Camp Ithiel) actually wanted us. That was nice for a change.

This past Sunday my wife Barb, I, our Youth Deacon / Dean of Mohawk Haircuts – Brett and his wife Sharon made the trip to Camp Ithiel. Mike, the Camp Director was working in the Mess Hall so he gave us the grand tour. As we were walking the camp I tried to express our gratitude towards him in allowing us to hold Bible Camp on his campus. He looked at me, smiled, and then relayed how just a few weeks before, a week of Bible Camp had canceled their reservation for the week that we now had. He said one of his Board Members asked him what he was going to do. His answer was both simple and profound. He told the gentleman, “God will provide.” Then he said, “And then you guys showed up.”

Last year at this time I was wondering about God and His “providing.” It seemed that we were serving a God of “subtraction.” Now with the benefit of hindsight we can see that God was working, he was working to provide a Camp that would allow us to reach kids for Christ uninhibited by legalism.

BTW – I honestly feel that God was not only doing us a favor but CFBC as well. The last thing I want to be is an instrument of irritation and it was obvious we had become that very thing to CFBC. May God bless each week of Camp this year, the Camp Director and Board.

When I called Pat up the other night to undo last year’s “un-invite” I said, “Brother, you and I have something in common now.” When he asked “what” I answered, “We both have been un-invited from CFBC.” Pat laughed and then we both began to get fired up as we spoke of God, His Will, and how He had this all under control last year when we felt everything was out of control.

I hope if we don’t teach our campers anything else, we impart upon them that God is in control. May God bless all of you.

Comments:
Sometimes I like to think of God just giggling and saying, "Watch this". Maybe that's the rural Alabama girl in me but... he might do just that very thing!
 
Please tell us you're not going to allow lifting of hands and clapping during the instrumental worship at camp!

Yes, He does provide. I've spent many a sleepless night wondering what I would do in my post-preaching years, knowing they were coming up soon. After mom died, the move back to Alabama wasn't going to happen ... nothing to go back to or for. Then things started going down the toilet for Josh and his job. Well, you know the rest of the story. He called today (Thursday) and told me the inspector had called to forewarn us that the state was ready to issue an inspection. That's our last hurdle and we already know exactly what Steve (the inspector) will be looking for. This door is opening so wide and so wonderful ... just like your week of camp. And hopefully w/ Pat Pugh!
 
If nothing else came from this camp your story of God's hand in it all has been a great testimony. But I KNOW other great things will come....It is SO exciting!!
 
That Girl - I believe that with all of my heart. Maybe that's because I'm a "half-breed" since my Dad was from Sylacauga, Alabama.

Greg - Amen.

djg - True. God is good all the time.
 
I can't wait to hear what kind of blessings He pours out on this camp. He has something wonderful in mind.
 
My favorite verse in regard to situations like this–that is being depressed over being mistreated–is:

1 Samuel 16:1

The LORD said to Samuel, “How long will you mourn for Saul, since I have rejected him as king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and be on your way; I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have chosen one of his sons to be king.”

God tells Samuel, it's time to stop mourning over what you've lost and look to the future.

God has certainly given us that message loud and clear with our camp situation.

So let's fill our horns with oil and be on our way!

Peace.
 
Steve - I have no doubt.

Puck - I'm filling Brother!
 
I pray that thisbe the answer you were loking for and didn't even know you were looking. Isn't God good at guiding us toward places that we don't even realize we are going. He is Awesome.
 
Cecil -

I got caught up reading your posts a couple of days ago, but haven't had time to comment until this morning. I'm SO glad a camp week has opened up for you and that you have seen God's glory in fellow Christians nearby to help you out in time of need. And it truly is a time of need for all of the kids (and you counselors) who will so benefit from a week at summer camp.

Thanks for sharing this powerful story of what God has done for you all in your lives. THANKS!

Dee
 
We had a week open for that time too. Wish we could have had you here.

I am glad that the camp is on, and that one day you really will pass the baton on to others.
 
Keith - Yes He is.

Dee - Thanks and welcome back.

Brady - Camp in Switzerland! Wouldn't that be great. It gets my vote.
 
Great story, Cecil ... and I identify in ways I don't really want to write about yet!
 
Cecil, I finally found your blog, by way of your interview with Dee.

I just read these two "Camp" posts and have to admit they have me in tears. The iron curtain of legalism is falling over camps all over apparently. And as much as I hurt for myself, I truly believe the kids suffer. I in some ways wish I had not gone quietly but it wouldn't have mattered. I would have been forced out one way or another. The camp brochures that I printed for years said that the directors and staff were made of of Christians dedicated to the church as revealed in the New Testament. That really wasn't true.

I am so glad you found a new place. My kids have never known a summer without camp, but I guess they will this year.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?