Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Live Like You're Losing

I decided to go “Tug McGraw” with this post by playing off of Tug’s hit song’s title, “Live Like You’re Dying.” For the past few days it feels like we’ve been losing. Without going into great detail because things are still playing themselves out, our church was visited by Legalism a couple of nights ago. Thankfully this “visit” came not from within our body but from without. Legalism has many characteristics. One of the primary ways legalism evidences itself is in the valuing of issues over people. Jesus was constantly inveighing against the Pharisees because they tried time and time again to trap Jesus by valuing the issue over people in need.

Legalism will ignore, deny, and even defame people over an issue. In the name of being right on an issue Legalism will un-invite and even attempt to destroy people of good character, people who have been supportive of the Legalist and the Legalist’s organization in the name of being like Christ.

Without sounding too cryptic the recent visit of Legalism to our locale was not unexpected but nevertheless it was disappointing. The sad fact of the matter is that people in the world will treat one another at times in a more Christian like way than the legalist who claims to be living for and like Christ. If I had to characterize legalism’s recent visit to our church I would characterize it as a loss.

Then there was our game last night. Recently my son Steven has been in the Coach’s doghouse for unknown reasons. He did get in our District Playoff game drawing a walk, stealing (his 3rd in 3 games) 2nd and ending up scoring. After jumping off to a 5 to 0 lead, we ended up losing 11 to 12. Yes, another loss.

But on the way home our family had one of those family discussions that mark a family’s character. We were processing the game and the recent visit by “Legalism.” My son made me proud for 2 reasons.

First, despite his reduced playing time he supported our Coach. In fact, he has supported him throughout the season even at times when I was questioning some of his coaching decisions. To see this level of loyalty taking root in my soon to be 17 year old son gives me great hope for his life.

Second, Steven was aware of the reason (here we go cryptic again) why “Legalism” paid us a visit. This visit impacts something that he loves greatly. Again, seemingly another loss until I heard my son say something to the effect of, “Dad, they don’t know you like I do. I see you planning, praying, and working to make this event the best it can be. You are a Man of God Dad and when someone asks me who I admire I always say, “My Dad.”

Family, I had trouble seeing the road for the tears that were welling up in my eyes. Yes, it seems like this has been a week of losing but I’ll tell you what, if losing produces the kind of faith and loyalty my son is beginning to display as he becomes a young man, I’ll take losing over winning any day of the week.

Comments:
There is a vast difference between losing and being a loser! You are not a loser, bro. And this recent encounter w/ the legalists was one of principle. You stand on principle and they stand on tradition and orthodoxy. Modern day Pharisees are just as repugnant as in the first century.
 
Hang in there. Be merciful!
 
Greg - Thanks and very true. In fact, they attempted to hang me on some "organizational rules" which they could neither articulate or even remember. That is because these "rules" were only written in their minds.

Brady - I will and I'll try to be. BTW - I haven't commented on your blog lately because I lost your password. I applied for a new one and tried to use it today but it was rejected. Seems to be a pattern for me this week but I'm not "whining." Reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
 
I can only hope my son still sees me like that as he grows up. His love right now is so pure it sometimes just knocks me out.
 
Good to know you're not whining. Very, very important.
 
Cecil, God bless you and your family. The legalism visit was bound to happen, but I'm sorry it did. I say that because legalism is always going to rear its ugly head. I sympathize greatly with you. I had an issue with it this past week myself within my family. It doesn't involve the same things, hardly, that your encounter did, but it all boils down to the same thing. I lost a brother last year, and I have one now in a precarious health situation. I have another one who is a legalist in every sense of the word. I was called out of town last Thursday because the one brother was in a "crisis," and the hospital said I should come. Everyone was notified. The legalist brother's stance was, "If he's dying right now, and THERE IS NO CHANCE OF HIM GETTING BETTER, I will come to see him so I can tell him I don't hate him. But if he's going to get better, I won't come." (Same brother did the same thing with the brother we lost last year.) Legalist brother can quote you book, chapter, and verse from now 'til next week supporting his "rightness" for this type mentaility...................

Hang in there. You have a wonderful support system in your family. God has truly blessed you.
 
Cecil -

I know the "church" stuff can be difficult at times, but you are a good man, I just know. I know by reading your blog, reading your emails and from hearing about your son.

I have to say that you made tears come to my eyes just now reading about all your son had to say and how he is. I feel exactly the same way about all three of my kids - my two sons and my daughter - and they are much older than your son. Children are a priceless gift and you are a good father.

God bless you through these times.

Much love to you all -

Dee
 
Steve - There is something to be said for the unconditional love and admiration a young boy has for his father. When they grow older they realize that we are flawed and not the superman (or in your case Luke Sky-Walker) they once thought we were. That's why moments like the one the Lord allowed me to have the other night with my 17 year old son are so special.

Judy - Legalism is bad enough without it coming from a family member. These lyrics from "Blessed Be Your Name" keep coming to me:
"You give and take away
You give and take away
My hear will learn to say
Lord blessed be your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord."

Dee - Thank you. It gives me great encouragement to be aware of your personal battle with Legalism and how you've come out a mighty warrior for God.
 
I love you bro and I was deeply saddened by the occasion. I talked with two more of our elders tonight about the situation and they are in disbelief that the situation would turn out as it is.

Still no word from the board. I talked to Keith today.

I am confident that God will work his will within us in time.

Peace.
 
BTW Judy, "hear" is supposed to be "heart." My bad.
 
Keep the great vision before you! Awesome work of God going on there!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?