Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Prayers for the Boy

Hello Blog Family.

I write tonight as a concerned / frustrated Dad tonight. Steven didn't get to play in tonight's game even though (according to him) he was penciled in to be the "long relief pitcher." He has played at 2nd and leftfield lately but the coach is "DH-ing" for him. This is frustrating Steven and beginning to wear on his confidence. Our next game is this coming Friday against Merritt Island. If you feel so inclined I would greatly appreciate you praying that Steven starts and gets to hit in the game. We'll even take a few innings pitching if that's the case.

I know in the grand scheme of what some of you are going through this pales in comparison and I'm almost embarressed to put this out there but I'm a Dad.

Thanks for your prayers.

Comments:
What if there is character development that can only be accomplished on the bench instead of in the field? If we really believe that God works all in all, then my prayer would be more for Steven to be listening to God and trusting that it's okay to sit the bench rather than being in the game. I say this not as some philosopher / theologian, but as a dad who dealt with some of the same frustrations with my son only to look back on them with Josh and realize good things came from those trying, non-glorious moments.

By now, you probably wish I wouldn't even respond to such requests!
 
Greg - I dread your comments. What you stated goes without saying for look at how God has blessed your son at this point in his life.
The only thing you forgot to say is that you would be praying. I know that probably goes without saying as well but it would ease this Dad's breaking heart.
Remember, a little "sugar" always helps bitter medicine.

I liked the "positive sandwich" that Rusty Kuntz once alluded to when he told me how he dealt with major league players in practice.
 
Greg - BTW - that first line should read, "Greg, I "DON'T" dread your comments."

That's what I get for commenting at 6:30am. Sorry about that.
 
I prefer the non-corrected (freudian slip?) comment! Your family remains in our prayers and covet the same from you on behalf of our family.

My prayer was (and will be) that Steven would listen to God's gentle whisper coming through the circumstances that seem to be disappointing at the moment. He's a great kid ... has a heart for the Lord ... and I have no doubt God is developing something in Steven that he (Steven) will eventually recognize and will praise God for the bench time.

Besides, who can explain a coach that benches one of his better players?
 
Consider it done, bro.

Peace.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?