Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Face of War

Without trying to sound funny, “war” is a volatile subject. It always has been and always will and should be. We live in two worlds; one that says killing another human should be repulsive to us and the other that says there are times when in the defense of your country you may have to take the life of your country’s enemy. My personal feeling is that we’re in a global war on terror.

I referenced a film (The Obsession) that was advertised on the Glenn Beck Show a few months ago. I believe as the movie postulated that we are facing the threat of extreme Islam. Some of the images of “goose-stepping” Islamic Extremists are very reminiscent of the “goose-stepping” “Brown Shirts” of Nazi Germany. The only difference is that the Nazi’s were following a man (Hitler) who was bent on world domination while the Islamic Extremists feel that they are following “God” and they are bent on the destruction of our country, our people, and our belief in Jesus Christ.

What ever your view is on war there is no denying the events of “9/11” and you must also conclude that there will be more “9/11’s” on our soil unless we are vigilant and proactive. That equates to war, which equates to young men and women volunteering in defense of our country. Sadly this also equates into some of these brave young people dying in defense of freedom and our country. Until a few days ago I did not know any of these brave American heroes. That was until a few days ago.

This past Saturday I received a call from my good friend in South Carolina. He called to tell me that his nephew, Jason, and his co-pilot had been shot down in their Apache helicopter and killed in Iraq. I knew Jason as a young child. While he was still a toddler his family moved away to South Carolina. I saw Jason one other time when he was in high school. I knew his father and stepmother far better than I ever knew him. I did know that like many teens, Jason went through some rebellious years.

This rebellious teen later joined the United States Army where he would become a helicopter pilot and rise to the rank of Captain.

On February 2, 2007 he became a hero in the War on Terror. Jason was the lead pilot of a formation of Apache Helicopters. His helicopter took some fire but he made it through the “kill zone.” The helicopter behind him wasn’t so lucky as they took on more fire. Jason was slated to come home in 2 weeks. Jason was serving his third tour in Iraq. Jason’s wife was close to delivering (she delivered a baby boy safely yesterday) their 4th child. This father of 4 who was scheduled to come home in days to see his family and his new born son made the decision to turn his Apache around. He opened up with everything he had trying to cover for his fellow aircrew and their wounded helicopter. Through his heroic decision the 2nd aircrew made it back to base. Jason didn’t. His Apache was shot down with a Stinger missile or an Iranian clone killing both him and his co-pilot.

I ask that you pray for Jason’s family as they have lost a father, son, and Grandson. If you want to see a picture of Jason you can go to the website below. Just move your cursor to his name but remember this, behind all of the names listed are husbands, sons, and Grandsons. We owe a debt of gratitude to all of them.

http://www.armyaircrews.com/apache.html

Comments:
My heart goes out to the families.
 
Words are inadequte for expressing my sympathy for Jason's family and the depth of my appreciation for his service and sacrifice. He is a true American hero. May God be with and bless his family as they grieve his death.
 
I feel very sad this morning. Jason is a hero, one of so many we'll never know.
 
For insight related to 9/11, Jihad, Islam, and the growing threat of terror, The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 by Lawrence Wright is very informative.

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Peace.
 
Jason's family has my prayers. He has my thanks, though I will never be able to share it and I would never have been able to adequately express it.

For a good man, some may be willing to give up their lives, but Jason and coutless others give theirs for strangers like me. How can I then, when called to give some small part of myself to help another, refuse? What a terrible reminder of that lesson.

That so many have died in the name of worship has to be Satan's cruelest trick.

May the Lord be with us all.
 
I will always be in prayer for the family.

Shalom,
bobby valentine
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?