Thursday, February 08, 2007

Decision

I made one of those decisions the other day that in some ways goes against conventional Christian thought the other day. We’re in to one of those seasons of “many meetings.” We’ve met so much lately that I’ve been very scarce at our high school baseball field. I’ve always been a fixture at whatever field my son was playing at since his t-ball days.

Now my son is a junior on our high school baseball team and he just earned the starting 2nd base position and he was also tagged to lead off in our first game this past Wednesday. I told him on Monday that his mother and I wouldn’t make the game. The obvious reason was it was Wednesday night but on top of that my wife cooks for our church on Wednesdays. To top it off the game was 50 miles away in Orlando and was scheduled to start at 4pm. I could tell he was disappointed but he’s 16 closing in on 17 so I knew he could handle it.

We had another meeting on Tuesday night and then it hit me on the way home. I’ve been giving all this time to the church but very little to my son. Baseball is his passion and finally, for the first time he would be leading off in a high school game and Dad wouldn’t be there. So when I got home I reversed my decision and his face, his 16-year-old tough guy face lit up.

The game was against University High School, a 3000 plus school located near the University of Central Florida. There were 25 pro scouts, all armed with radar guns and they had come to check out their starting pitcher, a 6-foot, 4-inch lefty. As Steven took the first pitch 25 radar guys raised up. I heard one of them say, “93.” The next pitch came in to which one of the scouts said, “96!” That’s right sports fans; this high school kid hit 96 mph! The next pitch Steven lined down the right field line but it hooked just foul. 2 feet to the left and my son has at least a double against this major league prospect. He ended up drawing a walk, stole (our only stolen base) 2nd, and then was bunted over to third. We were unable to bring him in. He struck out the 2nd time up and then in his third at bat he hit one to deep centerfield that the centerfielder tracked down.

We ended up losing 8 to 0 but we had some bright spots putting the bat on the ball against top ranked pitching from a 6A school. Steven rode with me on the way home. Now, please don’t tell my wife this next detail: We drove through a Krystal Hamburger restaurant and bought 12 cheese Krystals. We split them 50/50 so there is no telling how many calories we ingested.

There will be 2 things I will always remember about my decision.
1. Our one-hour ride home which was full of eating, laughing, and sharing.
2. The hug he gave me just before he took a shower when he got home. He hugged me and said, “Dad, I really appreciate you coming to my game tonight. I love you.”
There are some decisions you regret. This wasn’t one of them. Have a good weekend family

Comments:
Frankly I'm not that impressed. I'm almost 54 years old and I can throw a baseball (with accuracy) 96mph ... if you combine the speed of, say, three pitches for the total speed! Your west coast family always enjoys hearing the latest sports news from the "S-Walk / Old School" front. We're proud of the manchild.
 
I could write volumes about how touching this post is to me. But I won't! I'm just so glad you had the humility to reverse courses. Even though I've said it before, it really should be said again:

Everyone should be so fortunate as to have a father like you!

Blessings,
-bill
 
Nothing creates bonding between sons and fathers like ingesting 10,000 shared calories. Oh, and even the preacher in me says great decision (Wednesday nights don't count anyway!)
 
John, you were far more gracious than I. Cecil and I were talking on the phone that night and he told me about the afternoon. My response (in jest), "Sounds great, Cec, but all at the expense of Jesus."
 
I don't have a son to bond with ... so I know NOTHING of the matter. Now how about some daughters, :-)

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
Thank you, brother, for constantly reminding me of how GOOD it is to spend time with our boys. Makes me anxious to get this school day over with and go home for some Hot Wheels action!
 
Greg -Thanks Bro and I'll try to get a visual on those 3 pitches.

Bill - Thanks Bill. I'm not always "Parent Magazine" material but every now and then I have my moments. I think "fleeting time" has something to do with it as well.

John - I forgot about the "Wednesday night card."

Greg again - No break for the e-guy.

Bobby - I know you could brother. Enjoy the time for it does past before you know it.

Steve - Nothing like a good day of "Hot Wheels" action.
 
This is a no-brainer when it comes to good decisions (other than the Krystals). Spending time with our children has to be on top of the list. I am learning as so many of you have already learned that they are gone way too fast.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?