Thursday, January 11, 2007

Old School Bloggging

O.K. bloggers, its time for some old school blogging. By the way, is that an oxymoron? It reminds me of the time in a Wednesday night class long, long ago when I heard a brother make this statement to the Bible Class Teacher:
“Brother, (which btw, using that word is tantamount to using the phrase, “Bless his heart but ……”) what we need around here is some (are you ready) “harsh Gospel preaching!”

I remember asking, “How do you deliver “harsh – good news?” I tried in my mind for a while. “Excuse me sister, you just won the Publisher’s (not that I do that of course) Clearing House Sweepstakes, you moron!” No, it just doesn’t work.

Now back to old school blogging. Throughout my time in the Churches of Christ I have heard many lessons taught on the following text from Hebrews 10.

Hebrews 10:23 – 25
23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

In fact, yours truly was used as an example during one of these lessons back in the 20’s, that is, my 20’s and I wasn’t being held up as a positive example. I remember the preacher teaching on these verses. The previous weekend Barb and I had gone camping returning on Sunday evening. As this preacher was preaching he said something like, “God says we should never forsake the assembly. Now say for instance, the Walkers want to go camping or …..” Needless to say I wanted to morph with the material in the pew at that point. You’ve probably heard similar lessons but hopefully you weren’t a sermon illustration which by the way (Greg, Randy, Keith, Steve, Brady, Puckster) is the ultimate weapon of deterrent of ministers. They can say, “You mess with me man and you’ll become a sermon illustration.” I actually heard a guy tell one of the above, “Oh no, I’m not answering that question just so I can become a sermon illustration!” You guys are brutal.

Any way, I digress. The other part of these verses from Hebrews talks about the encouragement we receive when we do see each other at church. I used to think that was hokey. “Come on, how can my very presence “encourage” you?” I used to follow that up with, “How can just seeing me (factoring out my beautiful outward appearance of course) encourage you? What if I never say a word to you? Tell me how that can be “encouraging?” O.K., everyone together, “Stupid!” I feel better now.

Last night this point came through more clearly than ever before. Its been a stressful few days and I wasn’t expecting a crowd at the Wednesday night dinner my lovely wife prepares at our church each week before our Mid-week classes. This is where God comes in and I get out of the way. Lo and behold we had one of the best crowds we’ve had in a while last night. Talk about encouragement, a dear, sweet sister who has been struggling with some personal issues was there last night. I meant to say something to her but I was never able to get over to her. But you know what, I was encouraged to the (little SoCal terminology) max! Thank you God for the encouraging people, circumstances, and moments you send our way.

Have a great day family.

Comments:
God's still at work in the ordinary to show us his mysteries!

You were't actually eating "in" the building were you???

Peace to my West Cocoa, Central, E-Bro!
 
Wednesday nights are tough for me. I am always tired and beat up from the week. I never want to get back in the car and drive anywhere. But I am invariably blessed if I do. And it is seldom from the teaching that goes on. Usually it is just from seeing the people I love so much.
 
Who was preaching that Sunday night? I'm hoping his name starts with a P and not a G!
 
Puck: Since very, very few buildings in Florida happen to have a basement like ours which is where are Fellowship Room resides, would that cover as a pass?

Dee - I'm going to fire up the camera once I get through turning on the A/C and thanks for the kind comments.

Steve - I know the feeling.

Greg - I think you were with me. Actually, this was "pre-you" so you may have the correct consonant.
 
thanks for that

I heard someone talk about Dr. Jack Lewis from Harding Graduate, asking why or how he can listen to others teach and preach each week and he said something to the affect of he is there to give his agreement/support.
 
One of the men in our congregation said that Wednesdays were important to him because, in his words, "When I'm not here, somebody will miss me." He was being somewhat funny, but true. Just being with each other is a blessing.
 
I'm feelin' ya dawg.

Sorry, your SoCal slang triggered something in me and that came blurting out.

Very good point though, because I believe it is such a universal experience especially for those of us who are leaders/staff/regulars at Church. I so often find myself dragging myself to a Church event with no desire at all to leave my recliner, much less go and be social, or even worse, teach, preach or lead singing. And yet, nearly every time, I am blessed by simply being there and seeing others there. If nothing else, it is a reminder that in life's most difficult and important journey, we are not alone. sometimes, the encouragement I get from the simple reminder of that one point is enough to carry me for days.

Like so many verses in scripture, people have taken that passage and used it to punish when God was just trying to do something nice for us. We are such foolish children sometimes....especially when we call each other "dawg" or say "to the max."

Congrats on your Gators by the way. I am dangerously close to getting excited about my Duck's hoops team
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?