Monday, January 22, 2007

Olan HIcks

We had one of those special weekends at Central this past weekend. It started with the arrival of Olan and Barbara Hicks on Saturday. For almost 30 years they have been literally traveling coast to coast helping people deal with the pain of divorce. The name of his seminar is “Beginning Again.” We took Olan and Barbara to our church on Saturday for a fellowship meal followed by a time of “picking and grinning.” Our “blue-grassers” played and then Olan and Barbara played with them. Olan is 81 and Barbara is in her last 70’s and yet they play and sing quite well.

Sunday morning started off with my son thinking I had lost my mind. Olan and Barbara travel the country in their Motor Home. They were parked in my driveway so I was driving them to church. They were sitting in the middle seat in my Expedition as I was idling in my driveway awaiting my wife to join us for the trip to church. I was talking to them as my son was walking up our driveway. As I was talking I noticed that he had stopped and was staring at me with one of those “Dad has lost his mind again” looks. I rolled down my window and asked him if there was a problem. It was at that point he noticed Olan and Barbara in the car. He almost sighed with relief as he said, “I thought you were talking to yourself.” Fortunately he didn’t add the word “again” to the end of his sentence.

Olan taught our combined Sunday School, preached for Worship, and taught again at a special evening service we held for him. I would highly recommend Olan to any church that has folks that are divorced, divorced and remarried, or considering qualified men for serving as elders or deacons who have a divorce in their background. There is no one (my opinion) who is more studied on these subjects than Olan.

Olan quickly establishes that his seminar is not about giving an “O.K” to divorce. He and Barbara have been married for 61 years. I told someone I just hope to live to be 61. Any way, his ministry is about correcting the errors that has creped into our theology in the past concerning marriage being a “sacrament” that cannot be broken and how the power of the blood of Jesus Christ can forgive all sins, including divorce. The other part of his seminar deals with the traditional practice of “forbidding marriage.” Olan is Biblical taking things back to the original Greek as he lays down the true meaning of God’s words concerning these subjects. In fact, our web guy has posted Olan’s lessons at our website, http://www.cocoachurch.org/

Please feel free to listen for yourself if you’re interested and please, if you feel the need please invite this brother to your church or home if you or those you know have suffered through the pain of divorce or considering adding men for elders and deacons who have a divorce in their background.

I did want to add that we also had a “Family Talk” yesterday before our evening service. The spirit of our meeting was nothing short of encouraging. People truly seem to want to find a way to engage in ministry. One of our worship leaders and his wife at their cost built a small stage in the corner of our Fellowship Hall. They are looking to open a “Bluegrass / Story-telling / Coffee Café” to be held on Tuesdays or Thursdays. To me it was another example of folks using the talents that God has given them to creatively think of another “on-ramp” to our church. I certainly hope it is successful.

Have a good day family.

Comments:
This is such an encouraging post, Cecil. There is so much that we can do to make a positive difference in our world, if we will just choose to do so.

Thanks for leading the way into a brighter day.

-bill
Spiritual Oasis Blog
 
Olan and Barbara Hicks will be traveling the country still when we are all dead and gone!

Peace to the Central church family.
 
Thanks again for telling me about this wonderful couple. I truly hope to meet them sometime soon. Be in prayer, if you would, that our elders have the wisdom and foresight to invite them to speak to us.
 
I heard Olan speak years ago. It was in a dentist's office who wanted people to hear him, but were afraid of the backlash of the church in our area. We went, as students of IBC, to try and see if we could "trap" him in his error on this subject. I don't remember thaving done that because of his sutdy. I do remember coming away from the meeting confused about what I believed on the subject. In many ways it is still a tough one for me. The difference today is that I am willing to listen with much more love and open-mindedness.

As for the coffee shop, storytelling, bluegrassers, it sounds like you have some missional minded people there. I sure I hope to visit some day.
 
Olan and Barbara have been to Long Beach a couple of times and it was a blessing to many. They have such a graceful spirit.

Not to be the "correction nazi" or anything, but you did mean to write that some were looking into an "Acappella" Bluegrass / Story-telling / Coffee Café, didn't you? :)
 
Bill - Thanks

Puckster - You may be right!

Steve - You got it. If anyone can handle this subject it would be Olan. I pray that your elders have the courage to invite this brother. They will soon discover that they will be closer to Biblical understanding of this subject than ever before.

Keith - The ambushing still goes on today but the outcome hasn't changed. I hope you get to come our way and bring the family.

Dee - I don't know the details of what happened to you but I can only imagine. We did have one of our new members tell Olan that she had waited for 25 years to hear his message from God's Word.

Greg - Acapella Bluegrass? Is that like Eddie Van Halen singing bluegrass? Makes me want to trash a hotel room.

Randy – I’ll pass on the props to our web guys. As for the hairy creature I believe you’re “re-fur-ing” to a higher form of life that dwells at our church.

Judy – I agree. What ever motivated Olan to stick his head out for the cause of Truth, I say thank God.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?