Saturday, January 06, 2007

He's Back!



Good morning bloggers. I haven't seen you since (actually since Dec.28th) last year. We left for South Carolina on New Year’s Day to see my friend of 39 years, Bob, his wife Shelby, and their son Nathen. We hadn’t been to Bob’s house for 3 or 4 years so it was good to reconnect with them in “USC country.” Now, before you west coasters hit me with a geography slam that would be the “University of South Carolina” Gamecock Country. It was good to get away as we’ve entered into a busy time at our church.

Bob and I have known each other since third grade. When we get together I always think of the time in Mrs. Lowry’s class where we were sent to opposite corners of the room for, are you ready for this, talking! Yes, yours truly had a problem keeping his mouth shut. In fact, one of the comments on my report card that year (third grade) read, “Cecil and Bobby talk too much.” Oh, she also said I was immature. I’m sure you’re thinking “and this guy is an elder?”

Anyway, in this particular incident we found each other looking at the other from under are arms (S.O.P required that a child’s nose be squarely planted in said corner when one such as I could not stop talking) as we were being punished. Bob for some reason which I’m sure had nothing to do with me sticking my tongue out at him decided to give me the “Hawaiian (see http://www.usspueblo.org/v2f/incident/incidentframe.html for more information) Good Luck Sign.” In colloquial terms that would be phrased perhaps as giving one “the bird.” Now, growing up in a military family and having the mind of an 8 year old I quickly decided that the “terms of engagement” (I bypassed the JAG Officer) required an immediate and significant return of fire. Unfortunately like the Crew of the U.S.S. Pueblo I too suffered retribution for my actions. In this case it was Mrs. Lowry seeing my “well wishes” sign and ordering me to the Principal’s Office where I was introduced to the “Board of Education” and this was all done without due process, my Miranda Rights being read, or an opportunity to put on extra layers of underwear to cushion the impact of “The Board’s” actions.

From that incident Bob and I forged a friendship that is going on it’s 4th decade. When I see Bob the titles I hold and their commiserate expectations are put aside. We pick up where we left off and just hang together. I am glad to say that Bob, Shelby, and Nathen are involved with their church which is about ready to move into a new building.

One of our favorite places to go is the Cooper’s Creek Golf Course.

Of all the courses I’ve played, Cooper’s may be the most secluded course of all of them. There are no developments within miles of the course, no houses on the course, and even the road to get to Coopers is out of sight of the course. In all the times we’ve played Cooper’s we’ve had deer walk across the fairway and this time we had wild turkeys invade our zone of fire. Bob had to identify the turkeys for me since I’m only used to seeing turkey on my plate or between two slices of bread. This next picture is looking from the tee box on number 6, a par 4 and you can see #7 (a par 4) and #8 (a par 3) which are side by side.

At the risk of this sounding like an article of “Golf Digest” I just want to thank Bob, Shelby, and Nathen for not only showing us a great time but just having some time to unwind, relax, and be ourselves. We all need friends like these and I pray that each of you have these kinds of relationships. They are truly priceless.




Comments:
So it's true that friendships forged on the flip of a finger (good alliteration going here) are longer lasting?
 
Welcome home bro. Glad you had some golf and friendship R&R.

Peace.
 
I can't imagine you an immature third grader.

So eagles, birdies and now turkeys on the golf course. The sights look really too good for January…
 
Ahhh, golfing over Christmas vacation. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was able to enjoy that. It gives me something to think about while I fight with the heater in my classroom.
 
Great to have friends who give you what you need in that kind of time and not just what they want.

I can't imagine you with the finger. I wouldn't dare do anything like that at that age1:)
 
Congrats on that crushing victory yesterday evening. Just read about it on the web. It must have been something.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?