Wednesday, January 31, 2007

"At 2nd Base for your Tigers, Steven Walker!"

Hello family and other readers.

A bit of family news. I can't help but think of some of my posts from last year at this time. My son was a sophmore who was dying to make our high school's varsity baseball team. He has played baseball since he was 4. He has a love for the game that is internal. Out of the 3 major sports, baseball was the sport I was the least gifted for and (sorry Steve) enjoyed. For some reason baseball connected with my son and his love and passion drew me in as a fan and coach.

Steven came very close to making the varsity as a freshman. One of the varsity coaches told him that year the only reason he didn't make the Varsity was due to his size. This admonintion motivated him to lift and run and as most of you know he made the varsity as a sophmore last year.

But as my good friend Greg relayed through a personal experience, sometimes making the varsity “early” isn’t all it is cracked up to be. Steven suffered through a season where he was mostly used as a pinch runner although he played enough to earn a letter. The Coach was good enough to inform him this would probably be his lot but knowing and experiencing are 2 different realities. But my son has a warrior’s heart and he wasn’t going to be satisfied with just a letter if he couldn’t contribute significantly to the cause. His dream was to start and at least for the moment, he has realized this goal as he will start at 2nd Base in our first game next week.

I haven’t read Keith’s blog today but please lift up his son, Brandon, as he is trying out for his baseball team as well.

Comments:
Step aside, Joe Morgan. Step aside Robbie Alomar and Bobby Grich and Chuck Knoblauch and Adam Kennedy and Craig Biggio and Ryne Sandberg. Here comes Steven!

(Notice how I snuck Kennedy and Grich in there? Heh.)
 
Congratulations to Steven. I know that you must be proud.

Thanks so much for thinking about Brandon. Tryouts are done. We will find out tomorrow, Lord willing, and if the snow stops. They will be posting the names first thing tomorrow morning.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?