Sunday, December 03, 2006

Peace in Death

First, let me welcome Patrick Mead to our "blog church." Patrick ministers to a church in Michigan. Perhaps as a Floridian I should offer my condolences to my fellow Brother in Michigan. Go Gators. Yes, I’m a Nole but I’ll support the Gators to carry the flag for our great State.

Have you ever wondered (or worried) that God was getting you ready for a challenge in your life by giving you the same lesson of life, over and over again? This thought crossed my mind following our services today. In my previous post I wrote about one of our sisters sharing a lesson on peace with me. The Lord brought that lesson to me again today.

We had been praying for a couple at our church that just lost one of their two Grandchildren to a tragic car accident at the age of 21. Their Grandson lived up north so they had been away for a few days while he hung on to life following the accident but eventually he passed away. I spoke to the Grandma with the intent (once again) to encourage and share my condolences.

To my surprise she was almost “radiant” if you can use that word in the context of grief. This sweet sister told me that while her and her husband had been with their family she felt a strange “peace.” She said she knew people from our church were lifting them up in prayer and she said at times she could almost feel the arms of Jesus wrapping around her. Then she said something that I’ve rarely heard said with such enthusiasm, especially in the context of grief. She smiled and said, “We are so fortunate to have such a loving and caring church.”

Then she shared with me that her daughter who had never been baptized into Christ, was in services today and had decided to put Christ on in baptism. Praise God! I know I’ve over used this phrase today so just bare with me; in the context of grief, joy and life were bursting forth. I felt like such a student in the presence of this dear sister.

As I was driving home listening to our local Contemporary Christian station, the Tree63 song, “Blessed Be Your Name” was playing. These lyrics will take on new meaning for me:

Blessed be Your name in the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name
And blessed be Your name when I’m found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be your name

Every blessing You pour out I’ll turn back to praise
And when the darkness closes in
Lord Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name when the sun’s shining down on me
When the world’s “all as it should be”
Blessed be Your name
And blessed be Your name on the road marked with suffering
Though there’s pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

Comments:
Praise God. It is wonderful to hear that good news. Peace within and with God.
 
I love it when events change our perception of familiar songs and verses. In your new context, that song becomes even better.
 
Hello!
I was prerusing through Patrick Mead's blog and I came across your comment that mentioned the RC A Capella Chorus.
I am currently in my second year in that chorus, and I wanted to let you know that it is such a huge blessing to see that you enjoyed us! I guess that since we move around so much, I have never considered how many people see and remember us.
Do you remember the names of the guys who stayed with you? I'm sure Dr. Bentley would love to hear positive feedback on how things went, especially so long after our performance. :)
Thanks so much! I'm sure I'll be looking at your blog every now and again. You seem like you have some interesting things to say. :)
Emily Polet
 
Brady - Absolutely.
2
Steve - Absolutely

Greg - Great comment about the song and I'm trying to get there.

Randy - For me, even more so now.

Emily - Welcome. I'll try to get those names to you in my next post. The guys that stayed at our home left us a nice card that is still on my Fridge. I'll look up there names. God bless.
Pass my regards to the Chorus from beautiful downtown West Cocoa, Florida.
 
Thanks for the uplifting post! What an amazing example of how "the Lord gives and the Lord takes away." Our prayers are with that family.

"Every blessing You pour out I’ll turn back in praise" is one of my favorite lines from that song, and I've found it helpful to repeat that to myself throughout the day. I'm not a big fan of contemporary Christian music, but every once in a while a gem like that comes along.
 
Just bought the song off of iTunes. Thanks for the post.

Peace to my West Cocoa bro!
 
Just sat down for the first time today to spend a bit of time with my blogging brothers and sisters. This has been a crazy day. I've been on the run all day. Yours is the first post I've read. I needed it too. You've brought some much-needed peace into my manic-Monday. Thanks!!!

-bill
www.theSpiritualOasis.org
 
Justin - That line is my favorite as well. I usually try to belt that part of the song (To the chagrin of those around me) out really loud.

Puck - Thanks my "St. Melbourne Brother."

Bill - I'm having one of those days today.

Dee - I'm honored. I'll get to work.

Greg - In some ways we're a "border State" but most of us are still "Southern by the grace of God." I will join with those in "Gator Nation" to say, "Go Gators."
BTW - When the Gators play Ohio State for the National Championship it will be the 10 Anniversary of their other National Championship in 1996 as well as the 10th anniversary of our Christmas trip to SoCal when Jan bought you (as I called it) a “large black bolt” for Christmas. I remember flying back from Long Beach on beautiful “Sun Jet Airlines” into St.Pete/Clearwater and driving back home. The Gators were playing my Noles for the National Championship and we listened to the game on the radio all the way home.

My how time flies. My Mom was alive and Steven was 6.
 
Thank you for a good and thoughtful post.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

P.S. Detroit is not the only place that is cold and full of snow ...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?