Thursday, December 14, 2006

New Teacher / Pub Names

I know this is a weird time of year to do a post about Bible Camp but then I’m a weird kind of guy. This part of my post was prompted by a conversation I had with my son (or as Brady termed, “Cecil's blog cash cow”) the other day. For some reason we were talking about our upcoming Bible Camp. Steven will be 17 when he goes to Camp this year and yet it will be his 18th straight year at Camp. How’s that for a math problem? It’s easily solved when you realize his first year at camp was at the tender age of 3 weeks. I still have fond memories of Steven sleeping in a very loud Mess Hall full of very loud teens. At age 16 he can still pull off this amazing feat but it’s probably due to a standard camp bedtime of 3am (or later) with a wakeup up call around 7:30am. Oh to be young (and as my West Cocoa would add – “and dumb”) again.

In the course of our conversation Steven asked me if he could do an “evening devo” this year. For some reason my mind did a flash back (cue the theme from the 70’s series “Kung Fu”) to a time at Camp when Steven was 4 or 5. It was late at night and the campers had been sent to their cabins for their evening devos. Steven was staying in the “Director’s Pad” (as Greg, the Puckster, and I used to refer to it) with me. I remember walking up the stairs with him in tow. I think I had taught the main lesson that day as well as lead the evening devo. As we were going up the stairs I remember Steven asking me, “Dad, are you a preacher?”

There was a part of me that felt a little pride at my young son’s question. Camp and teaching kids about Christ have been a big part of our lives and I’ve always prayed that Steven would one day come back as a counselor and give back to the Camp that has given him so much. His question the other day was the beginning of an answer to that prayer.

I’ll add this from yesterday’s post –
I mention how supposedly Benjamin Franklin (according to one of my High School History teachers) was instrumental in saving the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia buy opening his nearby Pub to the delegates. My good friend Greg commented that having a Pub at a church might benefit (remember, this is tongue in cheek stuff to those who copy bits and pieces of this blog to use as ammunition to attack myself or our church) church leadership.

Now I’ve heard of some unique things housed in a church such as tattoo parlors and bistros. So here’s my question:

If a church decided to have a Pub on it’s property, what in the world would you name it? Feel free to fire away.

Have a great weekend family.

Comments:
I don't know, but I can imagine some of the songs that would be sung there:

"Seeking the Lost"
"My Great Redeemer"
"Ring Out The Message"

Try singing the choruses of these to yourself and imagine several merry men belting them out while swinging their mugs to the beat. I would love to find out which ones of these were originally old drinking songs that were given new lyrics for use in the church.

(BTW - I know you guys mostly sing those new-fangled "contemporary" songs now, what with your "transparent lectern" and all, so there's no shame in looking these up in a "song book" if you don't remember them. I promise I won't tell.)
 
Greg - How about "The Publican?"

Justin - You reminded me of an incident that happen at Central just before we came. I was told that Don preached one Sunday evening, a hellfire / brimstone sermon on the evils of consuming any (he has since changed his position)alcohol. Apparently the song leader wasn’t paying attention during the sermon because when Don extended an invitation, he led the song, “There’s a Fountain Free!” Apparently there wasn’t a dry eye in the house as everyone sang, “There’s a fountain free just for you and me. Come thirsty soul let us drink.”

BTW – with respect to your comment on our acrylic podium, it reminded me of a comment Joe Beam made when we had him for his “Love, Sex, and Marriage” seminar. Joe was talking to me and one of my fellow elders and he was asking us to describe our church. We made a few comments and then he said, “Lets see, you have an acrylic podium and a video projector. Do you have a Praise Team?” At the time we didn’t so we answered, “No.” He then commented, “Well then you’re only two-thirds liberal according to the brotherhood.” Apparently those 3 items are the markers of liberalism.


Judy - I came in after most of those fights had been fought.
 
Good News, Good Brews
 
I like gourd's last suggestion: good news; good brews ... :-)

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
There is absolute biblical proof for a pub in the church and to serving only wine and beer.

Proverbs 31:6 Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; 7 let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.

If not, why not?

How about Church of Christ Pub?

Peace.
 
Steve and I will be business partners and have an alternative to Cheers.

But since Proverbs is in the "Old Testament" and it was nailed to the cross :-( We will have to call it the Anglican or Lutheran Pub ... or if we want to be monkish we will just settle on "Christian Brothers" :-)

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?