Thursday, December 14, 2006

Extraordinary People

Several months ago, Mike Cope posted a blog on “the Food Ladies.” He spoke about the ladies that every church seems to have whose primary mission is to make sure food, both in mass quantities and quality, is always present during a church function. They are the unsung heroes of a church.

I don’t know how accurate this is but I remember one of my History Teachers speaking of Benjamin Franklin’s main contribution to the Constitutional Convention – a local pub where the delegates would adjourn to escape the heat of a Philadelphia (cue of Elton John’s “Philadelphia Freedom”) summer. It was supposedly in Ben’s Pub that most of the compromises and the body of our Nation’s Constitution took it’s form. I wonder how much of the church’s business, ministry, and fellowship has taken place in the sight of food prepared and served by a church’s “food ladies?”

I can proudly say that my wife is a “Food Lady.” For many years now, first at a neighboring church and now here at Central, she has prepared our Church’s Adult Christmas Party meal. The usual faire consists of a choice between Prime (stuffed with garlic) Rib or the “Outback Restaurant’s” version of Alice Springs Chicken. These are tough choices for yours truly but usually I go with the Alice Springs Chicken because I know we’re going to do another Prime Rib at Christmas.

Any way, our Christmas Party is this coming Saturday and we’ll begin the preparations tonight. I wanted to take my hat off to a woman that I love and admire and who would have none of what I am doing. She is a true servant who abhors attention from her service but there are just times you need to recognize the extraordinary people in your life. I just happen to be lucky and married to one of mine.

Have a great day family.

Comments:
YUM!
Yes, Cecil, your blog didn't help with my food obsession and need to lose 50 lbs by Sunday!
 
Forget the Christmas party, bring on the New Year's Eve Bash!

Peace.
 
Randy - I forgot to mention Barb's bread pudding. We need to figure out a way to send some Sonny's and bread pudding.

Sandra - Sorry. I tried to warn you.

Puckster - It will be on and you and yours are invited. It will be BYOB (Bring Your Own Bible) as always.
 
That is perfect. I love the food ladies. My wife is one as well, though she has begun to specialize in desserts. She makes the most amazing cheesecakes you have ever tasted. Puts cheesecake factory to shame. No joke. they would actually be ashamed if they tasted my wife's creations.

All that said, you can never choose chicken over prime rib. It is not allowed. it is in the food rules. Sorry.
 
Josh - Great to hear from you and I know you're feeling better about things since you took my "Man Card" for choosing the chicken over the prime rib. Cheesecake better than CF? Your wife is now officially in my "Food Lady Hall of Fame."

Judy - Thanks. She deserves far more praise than I've given her.

Greg - Maybe when we remodel we'll consider your idea. I need to come up with a name for our "Holy Pub?" Ah, my next idea for a blog. Thanks Bro.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?