Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Prayer

A couple of nights ago we were asked by a dear sweet sister in our church to come to her hospital room, anoint her with oil, and pray for her using the James 5 model. She was very concern about some medical tests she was having done the next day and wanted the results to lead to the least invasive treatment.

Shamefully I haven’t read Yancy’s new book on prayer but I have read some of your comments concerning the same. I too worry about “prayer” becoming a substitute for “the good fairy” and especially in this particular venue I worry about someone having an unrealistic expectation when he or she calls on the elders in the vane of James 5.

Then God arranged for me and my fellow elders to pray with this sister. As we were talking to her she relayed how she had faith in what God could do through this practice. But the “doing” that she alluded to was not so much about getting “your wish” but rather getting something we all long for whether we’re facing the commute to work or a deadly disease, peace.

She told us the story of her husband who was on his death bed with cancer. He asked her to ask the elders to come and anoint and pray for him. Those of us who have lost spouses or parents know the prayer – “God, send a miracle and cure my loved one.” But not this dear lady who reminded me of the essence of James 5. She told us she knew her husband was going to die and although she wanted and would have liked a miracle what she prayed for was peace, peace for her husband as he passed from this life. What a powerful faith she possesses and she reminded me that the result of “sins being forgiven” is peace.

I know you guys have experienced this but once again the Lord demonstrated to me that when I thought I was being the instrument of encouragement, I was encouraged.

Have a great day my fellow members of our blog church.

James 5:13-15: Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praises. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.

Comments:
Thanks Greg, for that comment. Ruined my morning.

Peace with God, peace with the situation. Being ready to accept all that's going on, even if it is the ultimate enemy (death).

Thanks for the reminders, Cecil.
 
Our elders often anoint and pray for those with physical ailments. I have hoped that in time we would use the same process for spiritual ailments as well. James seems to link physical illness with spiritual illness in this text. But as you say this process brings peace, encouragement to both anointed and anointers.

I think I remember reading that in ancient times, the person being anointed was anointed on the forehead with the sign of the cross.

Peace.
 
That's a great reminder. Not that prayer isn't powerful. Not that God can't do anything we ask Him to do. But that ultimately, we need His peace and our own spiritual wellness more than anything else.
 
Greg - If you knew Lois, (church sec. Greg is referring to) you could appreciate the question. I miss her and Tom.

Brady - Your welcome. I guess the "peace" also comes from knowing that while "death" might win the battle those in Christ win the war.

Puck - Great point!

Steve - I need that reminder every day Math Bro.

Randy - So true. This dear lady taught me a great lesson of faith.

Dee - I hope you're elders will comply and we will certainly honor your prayer request. You and your blog have become a large part of my daily "blog routine." God bless.
 
Cecil - sorry to come in late on the comments. Loved your story - what a great heart for God's will to be done. Several years ago (at a different church) a lady made the request for anointing and prayer and the elders refused saying it was unscriptural(!!!) (Randy - there's life imitating art - Picasso)
 
Our elders are frequently asked by our people to anoint with oil and pray. There have been some wonderful healings that have happened.

The purpose of prayer, in this context, is not so the person being prayed for can find peace, the purpose is "and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him".

I fear that partially because of the excesses of TV preachers many of us have allowed prayer for the sick and afflicted to be watered down to the point that it is pointless.

God honors His word. God answers prayer, when He is asked in faith.

At least one facet of New Testament Christianity that was not restored by the Restoration Movement was the emphasis on prayer that is so very plain through out Scripture. It is my belief that the weakness of impotent people and churches can be traced to a lack of Bible kind of prayer.

Thanks for the thought provoking post.

Grace and Peace,
Royce Ogle
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?