Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Old School / Blog Cash Cows

There must not be too many places other than Florida in which one could be attending baseball games one week before Thanksgiving. That has been our status for the last two nights. The never –ending Fall Ball (we were told it was over, for good, finished) season was resurrected these past 2 nights.

We played Space Coast Jr./Sr. High last night. Steven didn’t start due to coming in as the second pitcher in the 3rd inning. It was one of his best outings as of late giving up no hits, no runs, and striking out 3. In the 5th inning he went out to left-field and finished the game there.

He only got up one time and for some reason, he chose to use his “wood bat.” He normally swings his wood bat in the “on deck circle” as he is warming up but this time he decided to use it at the plate. I think he was taking the words of his hitting instructor to heart when he told him at one practice, “If you can get a hit with a wood bat, you know you’re “the man.”” It didn’t take long for players on both sides and those of us in the stands to notice this vision of “baseball past” taking place right before our eyes. Of course being the ever supportive father that I am, I’m thinking that Steven’s good judgment was flying “past” my eyes.

On the second pitch Steve ripped one down the left-field line for a double! One of the dads standing next to me said, “I have a new nick name (nick names in the past have included: “Wheels,” “Spider Man,” and the ever present “S. Walk.”) for your son, “Old School.” After the game (we won 8 to 1) several dads came up to Steven congratulating on his “wood bat double” calling him “Old School.”

Now, switching gears and introducing (Judy will love me for this) a “new Blog Cash Cow.” Ladies and gentleman, give it up for:

Buddy - our cat who thinks he is a dog. This is a picture of Buddy taken last Thanksgiving. Buddy is unlike most cats in that he is very social. The more people in the house, the more he wants to hang with the humans. This past Sunday we held our “Life Group Meeting” at our home. This is due to “the Chuckster” (a friend of Greg’s and Randy’s and a fellow Pepperdine Lecture attendee) being in the process of remodeling his kitchen without the same kind of “help” that Steve had last year.

At the end of our Life Group meeting we always join hands and hearts in prayer. Now technically Buddy doesn’t have any hands but he did want to be part of our prayer. As we were praying Buddy began meowing and rubbing up against all of us in the circle. When he came to me (I was praying out loud at the time) I politely pushed him off with my foot. This cat who thinks he is a dog must have thought I was trying to teach him a new trick.

His response was to crawl under the coffee table we were standing around. He used to do this when he was a kitten but being the full grown cat that he is, it took a considerable amount of scratching, rolling, and literally pulling himself under that table to make it work. Then he proceeded to swipe at everyone’s feet as we were praying causing “holy laughter” to break out as we attempted to finish our prayer.

Does this prove that cats can be “religious” as well? Have a good day my fellow members of “blog church.”

BTW - I'd like to thank Dee for the new link at her blog site.


Comments:
Thank you SO much for this post. As I am going into baseball withdrawals, it was much needed. All the baseball we're getting out this way consists of trade rumors and post-season awards. I love the nickname "Old School." I hope Steven wears it with pride.

Our cat, Tabby, is a lot like Buddy. She loves being around people and is a foot-swiper herself. Often she will lay on her back until someone rubs her belly. She's a lot like a dog too, I guess.
 
As an admitted non-sports fan, I think that's a great story. Please give my regards to "Old School".
 
You mean they make bats out of something other than wood? Wow. Sounds like he was doing something pretty unique.

Cats and prayer. I think Yancey does a chapter on that in his new book.
 
Greg - I agree although my wife has converted me into a "cat-lover."

Steve - Glad to be of help. The coach told us Tuesday night the boys are done until January. He said that 3 weeks ago also.

Judy - I agree.

Justin - You got it.

Brady - Oh yes they do and (as my neighbor would say) "they're mighty proud of (as in average cost for a high school bat well over $300) them as well.

Dee - We said the same thing when our last cat died and then we ended up with 2 instead of one.

Greg - Dee may have hit on the next fad diet.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?