Monday, November 27, 2006

Old Friends / Teacher Jr.

I have come to look forward to Thanksgiving for the last few years because it seems to be the time that I re-unite with a childhood friend of mine, Bob, as well as his lovely wife Shelby and their son, Nathen. Bob and I have known each other since third grade which would roughly be about 39 years. Are you up for a “third grade story?”

In third grade we both had Mrs. Lowry and we were both a handful. One day, we were both sent to opposite corners of the room. It was probably due to not being able to control are incessant talking. At some moment when we were both suppose to have our respective noses in the corner; we peeked at each other. During this unauthorized peek, Bob gave me the (as it was called in the “Pueblo Incident”) “Hawaiian (that would be the bird) good luck sign.”

On the occasion of our second unauthorized peek I decided it was time to return fire which I promptly did only to hear Mrs. Lowry say, “Cecil Walker, go to the Principal’s Office now!!!” As I walked out the door I turned to see my good friend of 39 years laughing at me. My actions resulted in being introduced to the “Board” of Education.

Fast forward 39 years and we’re still close friends even though he lives in South Carolina and I live, well, you know where. Bob and his family rolled into West Cocoa this past Wednesday night. Our schedule went something like this:
Thursday:
1. Fry 2 turkeys and a turkey breast.
2. Watch football, go Dolphins, the Bucs ran into “Romo-metum.”
Friday:
Men – play golf
Women – shop
Teenagers – I don’t want to know.
Friday Evening:
Men – Go to “Crash-a-rama!” (http://www.orlandospeedworld.org/) From 8pm to midnight, it was 4 hours of destruction and mayhem.
Women – more shopping.
Teens – w/men.

Saturday:
Men- watch football. South Carolina beats Clemson. My FSU Seminoles give it a valiant try but lose to the Gators. Notre Dame doesn’t help the Gators as they’re pummeled by USC.
Women – disgusted with men.
Teens – being trained by the men.
All in all we had a great time with Bob, Shelby, and Nathen.

Sunday was a day to be proud of my son. He taught the Teen Class. They’re a tough crowd (I was their teacher about a month ago.) and in a bit of a funk that usually comes around this time of year. Steven told me later that teaching the class did him more good than his fellow teens. Does that sound familiar to you preachers out there?

Now we’re back in school and making the push towards exams and Christmas. Have a good day my fellow members of the Blog Church.

Comments:
It looks to me that you should of worked some Mexican mud wrestling into your weekend and THEN it would really have been complete.
 
I ALWAYS get more from the study I put into lessons and sermons than my class does. One of my many problems is that when I'm not teaching, my personal study suffers.
 
Brady - I forgot to mention taking a 2 mile walk Thursday evening, playing our sons in a little 2 on 2 Thursday evening, and another 2 mile walk on Saturday.

Steve - Same goes for me.
 
Judy - I can only attribute being able to keep up such a schedule at my “advanced age” to copious amounts of the “Champagne of the South” – sweet tea.

Of course, my wife might quote my favorite West Cocoa neighbor when my muscles ache from keeping up such a schedule by saying, “When you’re dumb you’ve got to be tough.”
 
Sounds like you had a great time. God bless your week brother. Be sure and go by Elaine's site and check out the "elder humor."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?