Friday, November 03, 2006

Not Ashamed in Pubic Schools

Working as a Christian teacher (sorry Randy) in a public school setting can make for some interesting situations. At our school each teacher has nine weeks of “morning duty” and nine weeks of “afternoon duty.” Each teacher is given a post to supervise students and to direct them to certain areas of the building while denying them access to others in the mornings and afternoons.

My job (“should I choose to accept it”) is to prevent students from going into the 400 wing classrooms in the morning unless they have a valid (like “My Mom wanted you to have this $50 gift card to the Outback Restaurant because you are one of the top 5 teachers in the entire civilized world.”) reason. This morning 2 students came up to me at my post and asked for permission to pass. When I asked them for their “valid” reason, they said, “We’re going to the “Christ on Campus Club meeting.” I told them they had selected wisely and gave them permission to pass. As the 2 young men walked past me one of them said proudly, “Yeah, we’re Christians!”

For all of the flack Public Schools sometimes take I just wanted you to know that there are some rays of His light in our facilities. Speaking of rays of light let me relay another incident that took place at one of our local High Schools and was relayed to me by one of the teens (Daniel) in our youth group.

Daniel told me that a student in his class sneezed and several people responded with, “God bless you.” He said his teacher immediately made an announcement saying, “You are not allowed to say “God bless you” when someone sneezes in here.” When asked why she stated that someone might not be a believer in God and thus would be offended.

Daniel said almost on cue several students said, “I’m not offended by God. God bless you.” He said several others said, “I’m a Christian and I believe in God.” He said the rest of the class was taken up with people sneezing and multiple people saying, “God bless you.”

Isn’t it great to know that we have young people practicing the words of Paul in Romans 1:16:

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.”

Comments:
Yes, 'tis true. More students believe in God that we think. I continue to be discouraged at our response to expressing convictions in the school system. Glad you are holding the fort in Rockledge's Middle School district!

Peace.
 
I used to clam up completely about my spiritual life while at work. In the last several years, I've learned the value of talking to the kids more about what I believe. I still don't cross any lines, but when they ask me what I think...or what I'm doing over the weekend...I tell them. And I'm learning that the learning process is better when we know each other on such deeper levels.
 
I, too found it difficult to share my faith until the last 10years or so. It still amazes me when the results of that come back to me. Don't know why it should seeing God is at work.
 
Matthew 18:3

And He said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
 
Puck - Agreed.

Judy - Thanks.

Greg - Another ray of His light.

Steve - I know what you mean.

Elaine - More times than not the results are good.

Tom - Good to hear from you Brother. Hope you're doing O.K.
 
It's awesome to see students stand for the right thing. There IS something right about our young people
 
Just one thing to say about that post. AAAACHOOO.

The whole family loved it. It's great to be a Christian AND have a good sense of humor.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?