Monday, November 06, 2006

50 and 16

For the second weekend in a row, my wife was the ramrod of a special event for a large group of people at our church. This past weekend was my in-laws 50th Wedding Anniversary. Barb cooked prime rib, Alice Springs Chicken, and an assorted number of side dishes. The most technical part of the experience for me was stuffing the prime rib with garlic. Yes, you can say and think it – “Man, if Cecil wasn’t there the whole experience would have been a travesty.” I digress.

Any way, it was wonderful experience to celebrate the lives of Frank and Anita. 40 folks were in attendance and the stories that were told were priceless. Anita being the oldest of 5 children and the only girl had to withstand constant aggravation and down right black-mail from her younger brothers when Frank “came a courting.” Both her brothers, Claude and Dave said there were many Friday nights were the only way they had any chance of going to a movie was to bother Frank and Anita to the point that they would each receive a quarter to leave them alone.

We had several neighbors who recounted how they went to Frank to ask him for advice on a home project only to have Frank at their house doing the project. The man is in his early 70’s and just recently helped one of our neighbors put down wood floors.

Our 16 year old was in attendance and although he prophesied that he would have a horrible time, he smile, laughed, and conversed with the best of them. It was an especially stressful weekend for all of us. Seems Steven had one of those stressful weeks that 16 year olds have and he seemed at times bent on taking some of that stress out on us. Then there was last night.

After we got back from our life groups last night Steven seemed in a better mood. When he got out of the shower he asked me, “Dad, what is today’s date?” Now, if you’re a parent and you’re asked that question by your son in high school, what are you thinking or perhaps fearing? Anybody?

I’ll tell you what I was thinking – He’s getting ready to spring some project on us which happens to be due tomorrow! Thankfully I was wrong. No, he wanted the date so he could read from a devotional book (“Good Night Blessings” by Chuck Swindoll) and in fact, he wanted to read it to his mother and me and then discuss it as a family.

I can say that although we had a somewhat stressful weekend the sleep I got last night was truly restful. Thank-you God for having a 16 year old – soon to be a man teach this 48 year old a valuable lesson.

Have a good day my blog church brothers and sisters.

Comments:
This is so cool! Milemarker dates such as these have a lot to do with making Monday mornings easier to get through.

No, that's not right. They mean so much more than that. Thanks for sharing this with us. Hope you have a great day!!

-bill
 
Congrats on the in-laws wedding anniversary. I'm planning to make it to at least 50 years, if I don't get hit by an ice cream truck first.
 
I serously doubt I'm going to make it to 50 years.

Congratulations on some very good family stuff. You deserve some pride in this one.
 
Congrats to the in-laws and Barbara for out doing herself again. I can't imagine you doing anything in the kitchen. I still remember the rolls that you buttered at my house for baking. I had to remove at least one stick of butter from them.
 
Bill - Thanks.

Randy - The mean would be 33, the medium is the same, there is no mode, and the range is 34.

Brady - Thanks and please by all means avoid the ice cream truck.

Steve - I know what you mean about "making it." Wife and I just past the big 25 which means to hit the 50 I'll need to last until age 73. Thanks for the comment about Steven. His show of faith (apparently part of his stress has been due to some persecution for his faith) was a nice relief to his mother and me.

Greg and Elaine - You guys don't appreciate my "butter" skills.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?