Monday, October 09, 2006

Weekend Dateline

Some random thoughts from the weekend:

Friday – Cocoa High School’s football team, Class 3A, dresses 25 kids – defeats the #3 ranked Class 5A team in the state, Palm Bay 24 to 17. Cocoa remains undefeated at 6 and 0. Their motto – “Quality rather than Quantity.”

Saturday – 8am meeting with our Deacons at Kay’s BBQ Restaurant. 10am – Took Steven to hitting lessons with Coach Chris. They were quite productive as I’ll illustrate in a few words. 1pm – I’m up on our roof attempting to clean off some mold off our second story that faces north and is almost in constant state (I wonder what that would do to a person) of shade. I did this earlier this summer with a spray bottle and ended up with a chemical burn on my face. When I went to church the next day I felt like the “Elephant Man.” “I am a man!”

This time we used a paint bucket and brush. This allowed me to go to church the next day and look a little less hideous than I usually do. It was also quite successful.

3pm – A colleague of mind brought his son over who is a first year teacher, to check out our upstairs apartment. He liked it and will be moving in on (go into military mode) 1 November. Also 3pm – Steven goes to church for our praise team practice. Real source of pride for Papa.

4:45pm – I bring Steven’s uniform to the field. He forgot his glove and cleats in the clubhouse so he had to meet the coach at the field. Real source of aggravation for Papa.

6:30pm – Our team minus several players due to injuries, plays “Team Demarini.” This team is mostly made up of Merritt Island High School seniors. They should be the class of Space Coast baseball this Spring. Long story short – we ended up winning 10 to 9. Steven played leftfield and pitched 2 innings. He ended up going 1 for 3 with a walk and he scored 2 runs. His hit came after the first inning he pitched. That inning was his worst inning pitched so far. He threw a couple of curve balls that “fooled the blue” and it unnerved him when he didn’t get the strike call. He then ended up making some mistakes and gave up 3 runs. When he came to bat he hit a bomb that bounced off the leftfield fence for a double. He gave up no hits the next inning and we ended up coming back for the win. The coach said it was a “huge win and it showed we’re capable of battling.”

Sunday – Don is preaching a great series of lessons out of the “Beatitudes” using Tim Woodroof’s book. These lessons have made for some great, tough, introspective Life Group Meetings.

As we woke up today we discovered that the Florida Gators are now the number 2 ranked team in the nation! Even though I’m a “Nole fan” I’m still proud of “Gator Nation.” Could the Florida Gators pull off a “Tiger-slam” and win back to back (non-calendar seasons) NCAA Championships in basketball and football?

That’s it from West Cocoa. Have a good day.

Comments:
It's true, Son is Cecil's blog cash cow… Good to know he's hitting and pitching well.

I've never seen a picture of you, Elephant Man face or no. So I'll just take your word for it that you are a man.

BTW, we've got some roof work to do so if you want…
 
Cecil, a few thoughts from 3000 miles away.

1. You said that using a brush to apply the roof stuff made you less hideous than usual. did it actually improve your apperance? If so, my wife has requested you send me the product name immediately. Money is no object.

2. Your son pitches and hits and plays baseball during football season and sings on the praise team? He is a stud. I don't need to know any more. Good work there.

3. My Dad helped Tim write and edit that book and he is a close family friend and that is a great book. Not only does it change the way you read the beatitudes, but just the simple assumption that every word Jesus spoke and the way he spoke them was intentional and meaningful can change the way you read scripture as a whole. I think I may just have to dust that off and read it again.
 
Oh, I almost forgot, Florida is for real. I knew Auburn wouldn't last as i still think LSU is better despite that loss, but Florida is the real deal and I am happy for Leak who took some unfair criticism when he first started there.

that's all i can say as I am still mourning my Ducks loss.
 
Greg - I am a Noles Fan but having lived in Florida most of my life, I can remember when the "Big 3" were a big joke. So, as my beloved Noles and "The U" slip back into their 70's mode, I'm proud of those #2 ranked Gators.

Brady - I was wondering when I would get hit with the "Chipper blog cash cow label" with respect to my son. BTW - Does my "roof work expertise" mean the "Swiss ticket" is in the mail?

Josh -
1. I hate to give you the "brush off" (pun intended) but my brush solution only preserved my what looks I have.

2. Thanks. I'm proud of the boy.

3. Wow - As Brady might write, I believe your Dad is your "blog cash cow" and I've enjoyed getting to "know" him through you. The fact that he helped Tim write that book only enhances my appreciation of your "BCC."

4. Chris Leak has been a solid starter for Gator Nation since his freshman year. I'm sure Tim Tebow's success must "chap his hiney" just a bit. As for mourning, I feel your pain.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?