Friday, October 13, 2006

"Dancing Machine"

Baseball update on son – We lost the “North (Brevard) County Championship Game this past Wednesday, 3 to 2 to Astronaut H.S. My son who had been in one of the worst slumps of his baseball career was moved to the cleanup spot for the game. He told me on the way to the field he had a strong feeling he was going to be “pegged” (beaned, hit) in the game if a certain pitcher was pitching. Seems this particular kid (who throws in the mid-80’s) thought Steven had said something to him that wasn’t very flattering during our last game. Steven said it was actually the batter in front of him who was hit in the ribs by an inside fastball.

In the first inning we went down in order which meant Steven led off in the top of the 2nd. Guess who was pitching? Steven said he told our coach as he walked out to the plate that he was going to get “pegged.” Sure enough, first pitch, right at his head. Steven had enough time to put up his left hand in front of this head. The ball hit him on the side of his left hand.

The good news – he ended up stealing 2nd, went to 3rd on a fielder’s choice, and then scored one of our 2 runs on a passed ball. The bad news – he had to come out of the game because he couldn’t grip the bat. He was very frustrated. I reacted as any Christian father would encouraging our coach to throw something high and tight to the pitcher when it was his turn to bat. You know, Jesus said to “turn the other cheek” and I wanted this young man to literally have practice this “Christian virtue.” But, like other people at my church, our coach didn’t listen to the silly and upset Dad. Any way, Steven is O.K. now.

I’ve always been and “experience” kind of guy and I had a new one yesterday. Our neighbor just moved back into his house after his soon to be ex-wife was forced to move out. He had been out of the house since mid-June and his yard had gone that long without being cut. One of our neighbors who has a commercial lawn mower cut his front yard but even he had difficulty having to stop several times to untangle the “hay” from his blades. Due to the size of the mower and the gates, he couldn’t help with the backyard. Enter “weed-whacker guy.”

I told Rob Tuesday that I would give his backyard a shot with my somewhat new “straight shaft / reconditioned Sears weed-eater. Rob is working 2 jobs and has custody of their only son so I thought the guy could use a weed-whacker, I mean hand. So, yesterday I began the task of weed-eating an entire yard with grass has high as my knees. After 2 and a half hours and a couple of wasp stings, I can proudly say that I have weed-whacked and entire yard, literally. If you’re wondering I had to refill my weed-eater 3 times.

Tonight I’m working one of those vestiges of American society, a middle school dance. By the time the last kiddo gets taken home I will probably earn almost 6 hours of comp time (which I use each May to head out to Greg’s and Pepperdine) and several jewels in my crown not to mention a few more steps towards using the “Miracle Ear.” My main jobs will be to take in money and then walk in between the huge "scrum" that stands / dances in front of the speakers to make sure the little darlings have some daylight between them.

Tomorrow at 8am, Steven and I will be playing in a scramble golf tournament to benefit our high school baseball team. Golf is one of the few sports and I can still school Steven in but that advantage is quickly disappearing as well.

Have a good weekend family.

Comments:
That sounds like some rough baseball. My ignorance shows here, but aren't there rules against that kind of thing?

I hate weed-eaters. Always have. Always will.

Ah, middle school dances. Nothing like loud melodramatic music to completely overwhelm whatever reason may be left to young people that age. I never knew the teachers got comp time for those things! (It's all becoming clear now.) Show those kids your stuff, man! I'm sure you've got some moves up your sleeve. Let's see some pictures!
 
Hi Justin. It depends on the umpire, the situation, and their level of competence. When Steven was pegged on Tuesday following a home run hit by the previous batter not to mention at the time he was 3 for 3, a warning to the pitcher should have been SOP. The ump didn’t recognize the situation.

As far as what happened on Wednesday, I’m going to encourage our coach to put the ump on notice before and if Steven faces that same pitcher again. If the umpire gives the pitcher a warning then it will be a judgment call on his part if he beans Steven again as to whether it was an error or done on purpose.

As far as pictures of the dance, hopefully the "innocent" will be protected. Take care.
 
Wish you were my neighbor, but glad my son dosn't pitch to your son.

Sounds like you're letting your light shine. God bless you!
 
First, you can't throw at the head, ever. Not ever, not in any situation. That is shameful and that kid's coach should have yanked him right then and there unless there was some doubt about whether it was purposeful.

Second, you shouldn't have had to say anything to your son's coach, nor him to his pitcher. In baseball, the code here is simple. When you throw at a player, you get thrown at (not at the head mind you). I have no problem with this issue and it's one of the reasons I hate the DH in the American League.

Anyway, glad no one was seriously hurt and that your kid got his revenge on the basepaths.

Middle school dance is tough duty. With that much awkwardness in one place, do you find yourself unable to have normal interaction with people after you leave one of those events?

Do you have one of those week whackers with the plastic wire or with the hard plastic propeller like blade? If it is the wire, you may now qualify for sainthood.
 
Judy - Right now I'm beginning to wonder about sleep? This will be a busy weekend. As far as the dance was concerned I took my turn at the "anti-booty dance patrol" as some of my colleagues would call it. Steven's hand is doing better and my wife says the same thing about me.

Brady - Do you actually have to use weed-eaters in Switzerland?

Josh - I agree with you concerning the DH rule and the American League. In high school baseball, many pitchers are "DH" for as well giving them the same kind of buffer the AL pitchers have. This kid however was a good enough hitter that they didn't "DH" him.

Interesting comment about the effects of chaperoning a middle school dance. Now I know why I have an acne break out after I chaperone one of these gigs.

My delux straight shaft weed-eather uses a heavy duty line that comes in segments unlike the "spools of fishing line" that can bring the best of us to the brink of "potty words" when they go haywire.
 
Randy - You mean you didn't have your favorite ABBA cassette tape cranked up listening to, "You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life See that girl, watch
that scene, dig in the Dancing Queen...."

Hence, I was supervising virtual plethora of wannabe “Dancing Queens” at our dance.
 
I agree with the code, but it's tough for kids to pull that trigger. My son had the same opportunity, but just didn't want to hurt anyone.

Weed-eating a whole yard? Wow!! You're the man. Thanks for your service to that neighbor though. Being Jesus is awesome!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?