Wednesday, September 20, 2006

"Sick"


The word “sick” can be used in a variety of ways. Take for instance its use with the word “tired,” “I’m “sick” and tired of you,” or (as I reported in a post last year about my son Steven) “Your son’s curve-ball is sick.” This past Monday I had a student in essence, tell me that I made him sick.

Now in some ways this is oxymoronic since I had this student last year in 7th grade and seeing that he has decided to take the 3 year tour of (our middle schools are 7th and 8th grade) our institution of “middle” learning, he’s back with me for his second shot of seventh grade. In fact, his tenure with me is longer than some preachers’ stay at some of our churches.

Any way, on Monday this student did not show up for my last hour class. Our attendance is taken on line so I summarily marked him absent. I did notice that he was only absent from my class and so I had decided that I would do some investigating once school ended. As fate would have it, I didn’t have to wait that long.

It had been a couple of minutes since the bus bell (my walkers / car riders / bike riders were waiting on the “walking bell”) had rung when our Dean appeared at my door with the student in question in tow. Our Dean said, “Cuz, (We’ve always called each other by that name since we found out that our mothers came from the same area of Kentucky and my mother’s maiden name was “Miracle” and his mother married a man by the same last name.) I found Joe (name has been changed to protect the slug, I mean innocent) in the halls on the bus bell. I know he is a walking student so I’m bringing him back to you.” I replied, “Oh no Cuz, you see Joe never came to class today, at all, period, end of report.” We both looked at Joe and asked him where he had been for almost an hour? He replied, “The restroom.” For an hour we asked? His reply, “I was sick, really sick.”

So there you have it. I can honestly say in my 26 year career that I have literally made some students “sick.” I sure hope you don’t have the same reaction when you read some of my posts.

BTW – Joe, he was suspended for one day which happens to be today. Perhaps the extended vacation will give him time to recover. Pray for Joe and pray that I don’t make any of my other students “sick.”

Have a good day family.

Comments:
It's not you. It's that Pythagorean theorem that's killing those kids!

Peace.

Steve
 
I have to say I'm not sure skipping math class should be considered a punishable offense, but not being able to come up with a better excuse than that certainly should be.
 
One time in 10th grade I was late for my math class because I slept in or stayed too long at lunch or something. We were a few weeks into school, but my excuse was, "I got lost". I'm not sure if my teacher was amused or just too busy to deal with it at the time, but I was let off the hook without any trouble!

That said, I think this kid may be on to something. Memories of middle school still make me a little queasy. (No offense, Cecil. My teachers were generally very good!)
 
Perhaps he was in the restroom searching for the FIBonacci sequence!
blessings,
-bill
 
Greg - Hard to believe isn't it? Where in Tennesse is this property?

Judy - I don't know if I feel "lucky."

Puck - I thought all kids wanted to be in love triangle with math?

Josh - Absolutely. Show me some creative excuse and I'll show a kid some grace.

Justin - I don't know if Josh would but that one as being a good excuse. How ever, Eau Gallie HS has a "big" campus.

Bill - I think he was more interested in being in a class smaller than the smallest prime number.
 
Getting sick of school. I've had people get sick of me, hard to believe, but true. But they found somebody else that made them feel better.

Don't take it too personally that Joe didn't make it. First period, even the second time through, can be tough.
 
Oh yeah, that's happened to me. I've lost track of the excuses used to ditch my class. I'm at the point where I appreciate it when a kid says, "I just didn't feel like going."
 
Cecil, I'm thinking his story just doesn't "add up" - get it? If he was really sick, he would have been smart enough to come to your classroom, throw up on your desk and then ask to go to the bathroom - and that would have made you sick of him.
 
Brady - Just give me a supply of Swiss Chocalate and I would never get "sick" of you or chocalate.

Steve - One of my favorite students of all time and he was a pain, was the one who would do something, look at me, smile, and then say, "Yes Mr. Walker, I did it." He was refreshing.

John - I might have thrown up with him.
 
I can't think of a wise crack as good as the ones that have been posted.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
When I was in school, I stayed sick of math and sometimes my math teacher. She once told me that if I couldn't do better I ought to leave. So I did. She found me at the break and we talked. She was not happy with me. I failed the class.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?