Thursday, September 14, 2006

Request for Son

Good morning blog family.

I have a prayer request for my son. He’s in a bit of hitting slump. His frustration level maxed out last night when he struck out twice with 2 outs and runners in scoring position. Steven is usually if any thing, a “contact hitter.”

I know this may sound like a frivolous prayer request but when you walk into your son’s bedroom and it’s apparent that this tough kid, who eats pain like I eat hamburgers, has been crying it just broke my heart. Now, I did give him the old “even Chipper (feel free to insert your favorite player) Jones goes into a slump / the best way to get out of a slump is just keep swinging the bat / you’ve hit the best pitching this State has to offer in the past / blah, blah” pep talk and we shared a moment of prayer with each other.

Still, I would like to request that if you remember and are so compelled (because in the face of the 5 year anniversary of 9/11 this pales in comparison) please remember my son, Steven, in your prayers.

Thanks family.

Comments:
Hope he gets out of this slump. I pray that he will do so. Brandon is in the same boat. He is really struggling with hitting right now. I agree with meowmix. Nothing is too small to bring before a God who allows us to call Him "Abba."
 
Some tips from the pros.

http://www.baseballcorner.com/battingtips.asp

My old ball coach used to say, widen your stance just a bit wider than your shoulders and think about hitting the ball up the middle.


Peace.
 
May God give Steven the concentration he needs to keep his eye on the ball, turn his hips in his swing and follow through.

May God give all the young baseball players in the world someone who cares for them as Steven's father cares for him.

-bill
 
Judy - Thanks and as to your second comment, that is probably a good thing.

Keith - I'll send one for Brandon.

Greg - Hard fact about life.

Randy - Great movie and as far as the The delivery of chickens / roosters are concerned, see Greg’s family.

Puck - I'll pass it on. Sounds like good advice.
 
Bill - Thanks Bro. You are too kind and thanks for the hitting advice as well.
 
Our kids are never frivolous.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
Bobby - Thanks.
 
I think if you'll go out and buy him that new $300 bat he's had his eye on it will pull him right out of the slump :-). And maybe if you take it down to the church and baptize it - who knows? Well, okay - prayer it is. Anything going on in the life of a teenage boy (or his dad) is worthy of prayer.
 
Hey - new here, but so glad it's a baseball item!! I'm somewhat of an addict to America's game!!

Sounds as though Steven is ready for the Big Leagues. They're champions of batting slumps.

The best advice I've heard is:

"Let the ball hit the bat, not the other way around."

Of course I'll pray for Steven, am doing so right now. What a great dad/son relationship y'all have. It'll be my pleasure to bring you both to the Throne of Mercy and Grace.

Will you let us know when Steven's slump ends? I'd love to give a loud Hallelujah! to the heavens for him!! :)
 
John - $300 high school bat is coming soon. I didn't think about baptizing his bat. I wonder if it will void the warranty?

Kathy - Welcome to our blog community and yes, I'll let you know when the boy starts hitting the ball again.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?