Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Nice Run(s)



My son Steven played in his second game in a row tonight. The FHSAA (Florida High School Activities Association) changed the rules this year about high school baseball and the Fall. In the past, high school baseball players were only allowed to “condition” during the off-season. There was also a prohibition with respect to coaches coaching their players during the Fall as well. With the new rule changes, high school teams are now allowed to play a “Fall Schedule” if they register with an outside organization such as “A.A.U.” or “U.S.S.S.A.” which happens to be the organization our local high schools are using.

We played our dreaded rivals, the Rockledge Raiders last night. We won 12 to 0. Steven started and played the whole game at left-field and second base. Steven went 0 for 2 with a couple of walks, scoring 2 runs. He made a great play from leftfield, throwing out a runner at home plate. He said as he ran off the field our coach said, “Way to go “cannon.””

Tonight we beat Astronaut High School, 10 to 0. The coach allowed some other kids to start so he didn’t get into the game until the 4th inning. He walked and scored a run. He didn’t have any balls hit to him at 2nd.

Now, I know it’s only “Fall Ball” but to win 2 games by a combined score of 22 to 0 was quite impressive. Maybe this will translate in a big way when Spring comes? We’ll see.

As I close I would like to welcome a couple of new members to our blog family. First is Justin at “Hark, The Gourd Speaks at http://jmgregory.no-ip.info/blog/
Justin graduated from Lipscomb (a fellow grad Greg) and is now attending Vanderbilt. I know Justin and his family and they are great folks. Make sure you give “The Gourd” a “look / see.”

I would also like to welcome Joshua Stump and his blog, “Stumptown” at http://www.stumpedblog.blogspot.com/
Joshua is another “west coast” member of our blog family.

Have a great day my fellow bloggers.

Comments:
Thanks for the "shout-out", Cecil! I can't promise I'll read all the blogs in this blog family, but I'll try to stay in touch with this one at least.

Blessings to you all,
The Gourd
 
Sounds like a great day at the ball field. Congrats to Steven. Continue to pray that my son mkes the school team this spring. God bless you all in sunny Florida!!
 
Great pitching on your son's team. Perhaps the next Anabal Sanchez, perchance? And the patience your son is showing at the plate is commendable. Sure, it's not as flashy as a gapper but two runs are two runs.
 
Great wins. Big scores.

Can you spare a little of that offense for my struggling Angels? We need it now more than ever.
 
What I appreciate so much is the pure and unashamed way you revel in your son's and his team's success. I'm sure you would be just as proud of his good efforts if the scores had been reversed. Just think how good it would be if every son had a dad like you cheering him on! God bless you!

Shalom,
-bill
 
No way. 22-0? You've got some awesome pitching. And SOOO nice to beat the rivals SOOO badly. Hope it carries over…
 
Cecil, thanks for the welcome. It's been good to have your comments on my blog and now that I've found yours, I'll come back as often as I can. Sounds like your son has quite the rocket arm. In college, I snuck into Candlestick park, then home of my beloved Giants and a buddy and me did things like try to throw from home to second from our knees and try to throw home from the outfield. turns out someone had been watching us the entire time. When they finally kicked us out, they guy said, "by the way, that ball isn't supposed to bounce 3 times before it gets to second."

Very helpful baseball advice. I recommend you share that with your son.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?