Tuesday, July 04, 2006

He's Back.

The "Phantom" is back. This was a nickname my Dad hung on one of his friends due to propensity for disappearing for days at a time. I’ve been “gone” for a period of time as well from our blog family. Please forgive me.

Our trip to the Mid-Ohio Valley Work Camp held at Ohio Valley University was great. Our kids were outstanding and to a person worked their fannies off on their individual homes.

My home was especially challenging. When we had our “Area Meeting” (my home was in the North Parkersburg area) my area leader looked at me, smiled, and said, “You have the most difficult home in our area.” I was thinking “what are you smiling at buddy.” Our home wasn’t as especially big but it was in poor shape and needed mega amounts of scraping. The home owners were 92 and 85. Ruth was taking care of William who was bed-ridden. Each day we went inside to pray with William and each day, Ruth joined us on her porch during our devotional time. They were a blessing to us who were there to bless them. Isn’t it funny how that works?

We ended our week with a full day trip down the New River. This was my 4th time rafting the river. On my previous trips the water level had been quite high making for a fun, rough, tiring trip after a week of scraping, priming, and painting a house in 4 days. This year the water level was just right. The rapids ran at class 3 and 4 levels. We had many spots were we were able to body surf some of the rapids as well as float down the river. My kind of trip at the ripe old age of almost 48.

Our youth group and parents had a July 4th party at our Youth
Deacon's home. It was a great day of food, volleyball, and swimming. It was also our teen’s annual rite of seeing who they could throw into the pool. At one point I heard our teens plotting to throw a friend of mine into the pool. I decided to relive some football days and join the fun. As 4 of them were trying to be sly by surrounding my buddy, I emptied my pockets of cell phone, keys, and wallet. I strolled over to the impending “pounce.” As our 4 teens grabbed Ray, I did my best imitation of an NFL “bull rush” and crashed into the pile. The boys were so stunned that Ray and I were able to take all 4 of them into the pool. Now I’m sore but it was fun.

Hope your 4th was fun and “restful.”

Comments:
Welcome back bro. I hope to see you tomorrow. Glad you and the Sgt. Major took care of "pool" business. Just what I would expect from youth deacon's house, another debacle.

Peace.
 
Youth deacon. Now there's a new one I haven't heard before.
Great to connect again, Cecil. Lonely in cyberspace without ya
 
Judy - Thanks.

Puck - How about a little "Beef's action" after your class tonight.

Tom - I've tried to register on your site (aren't you with the same group as Greg and Randy)several times. I haven't had any luck yet.

Greg - O.K., I'll admit it. I'm a member of the "Ocoee River Swim Club."
 
I does look like you have been having more fun than me . . . How can that be???

BTW, I was at Rochester College for the 25th Annual Christian Scholars Conference and Deon Frazier and Pat Pugh were there for a youth conference.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
Hi Bobby.
I'm sure Pat was a blessing to everyone at "the Rock."

Our camp director has promised that he will convene a meeting in the Fall of each week’s Camp Coordinators so we can try to work out the situation that prevented us from bringing Pat Pugh to our week.
 
Tom - BTW - Some CoC's have a deacon in charge of youth. We have one who works with our Youth Guy.

I wonder if we can all our Deacon over Fellowship our "Food Deacon." Knowing him he would probably prefer "Fried Chicken Deacon."
 
Glad you're back. My turn to leave now. I'll be gone until Sunday night. At some point, we'll be back at work and all grumpy again but at least we'll be in some semblance of a routine. In the meantime, ain't summer great?
 
Welcome back. And now you're heading again to the West Coast. Enjoy yourself. We've had much fun here in Arlington.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?