Friday, July 28, 2006

Discipline

"This is the city," seem to always be the openning line to "Dragnet." Let me slide over a little bit and say, "This is the church, the Central Church of Christ in beautiful Cocoa, Florida.
We’re a relatively “young” church if you factor in that I’m the “oldest” elder at a ripe old age of (soon to be) 48. I know our median age of our church members has gone down in the last few years.

There are some positive aspects to being a relatively young church. First, lots of kiddos which I believe are a sure sign of the life expectancy of a church. Second, we have a fairly large segment of folks who could have been classified as “un-churched” before they came to Central. I once heard Charlie Hodge say at the Spiritual Growth Workshop something to the effect that when a church gains another church’s ex-members, you’re not gaining members; you’re gaining someone else’s “goats.” I don’t believe that is true in every case but I’ll bow to Charlie’s wisdom in this case.

Some of the (lets not use the word “negative”) more challenging aspects of shepherding a young church probably can be summed up by saying there is a need to strengthen in the area of individual “spiritual discipline.” Some of those “disciplines” might be “excelling on the grace of giving,” prayer life, commitment to the “ministry of encouragement,” and witnessing to a lost world. I don’t know how “missional” that sounds but it’s my observation nonetheless. So, guess what we (the leadership) had, yes, a meeting!

No doubt most meetings can put you to sleep but I believe the Holy Spirit was working in our meeting this past Wednesday night. The main topic was our upcoming budget but the Spirit led us to begin focusing on individual spiritual disciplines. BTW, Bobby Valentine posted an excellent blog on (http://stoned-campbelldisciple.blogspot.com/) “Healthy Practices for Lovers” concerning (July 24, 2006) this subject.

Now, here is where you come in if you want. I have some questions I’d like you to weigh in on:

1. List some “spiritual disciplines” that are important to the lifeblood of a church.
2. List some ways to help individual members of a church to become more spiritually discipline.

As always, I look forward to your input and have a good weekend.

Comments:
Wow. I am humbled that you posted a link to my blog and post. I pray that God through his Spirit can bless many with it.

Hope all is well there in the land of sandy beaches.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
I would place at the top of the list: prayer

Know Prayer, Know Spiritual Growth

No Prayewr, No Spiritual Growth.

That's my two cents worth.

Peace.
 
People follow their passions, whether it be sports, alcohol, work or their faith.

I believe we must begin with a passion for Jesus Christ and when that happens, may of these other things fall naturally into place.
 
Greg made the comment while we were in Ca that our lives are to be a praise and worship to God on a continuing/constant basis. And when that happens the corporate worship is more meaningful. Also when that happens, prayer, study of the word, caring(genuine caring) for others is a natural outflow.

Have a great week.
 
Your question reminded me of a lecture series you already know. The CD's Greg sent me (shhhhhhhh, we're not sure anybody's supposed to know he did that) were so rich. I've been through them about 2 1/2 times already.

Anyway, I think they hit the nail on the head of how to take the pulse of a healthy church and I think therein lies the answer to the spiritual disciplines necessary.

We don't give prayer nearly enough emphasis in our churches, even if we think we do. We could do that so much better, so much more.

We need to emphasize not just preaching the Word, but individually reading and studying it. WAY more than we do now.

Giving is underemphasized. We shy away from it because it sounds like we're asking for money. We're not. God is asking for our sacrifice.

We need to do a better job of enocouraging each other, reaching out to each other. When I'm hurting, I don't reach out to others. Most people don't. We need to reach out to the hurting.

There are more, but that's a great start. How do we do it? We teach it in our classes and from the pulpit. Better, we model it for each other.
 
Discerning spiritual gifts and facilitating their use to serve.
Giving.
 
Jesus summed up all spiritual discipline when He said, "Love God first, and your neighbor as yourself."

All that we are, do, and say is summed up in these two.

I think that one of the best ways to work on spiritual disciplines is to spend time together doing that which God has called us to do.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?