Thursday, July 06, 2006

Beginnings / 2nd Chance

Tomorrow (Saturday) my family along with our good friends and neighbors, the Coxs leave for SoCal and Josh's wedding. I can only imagine what is going through the minds and "memory cards" of Greg and Janice because as I reflect on this upcoming event, I can't help but think of the many memories I have of Josh as a little boy, teen, and now the young man that he had become. When the Englands first moved to Central Florida, Josh was probably 3. I can remember Josh being dressed in a suit (much as he will be on Sunday) leading his “home church” of little kids in worship. We’ve spent many summers vacationing with the England’s. One of the highlights of those experiences (besides the inevitable rain / re: “England Factor”) was the way Josh and Jessica were the big brother and sister that my son, Steven, never had. Baseball was also part of our shared experiences. For many years I looked forward to the few times that I could watch Josh play and then later grew to admire him as he turned into a fine High School Baseball Coach. It was the highlight of my summer 2 years ago when Josh took Steven with him to one of his Summer games only to end up having Steven play with his team and to be coach by Josh. Steven was reminiscing about that today and he remembered the hit he got for Josh that day.

I’m also thankful God gave me the chance to visit with Josh’s future wife, Heather, this past May. She is a beautiful person, both inside and out and I can only pray that my son chooses as wisely as Josh did for his soul mate.

I guess the above epitomized a second look. Today the Lord reminded me of second chances. “Brian” just left our home. Brian was one of 2 campers that we sent home from our camp last year. He and a “friend” brought some alcohol and proceeded to drink it one night during camp. They were both discovered and we were forced to send them back to their parents. Steve and I told both boys that we were glad that they decided to do what they did at Camp. Our reasoning was they could have been behind the wheel of a car or with friends who would have led them into doing something even worse. Being discovered at Camp allowed us to take care of them (they were both extremely intoxicated) both physically and spiritually. We told both boys that they could use this experience as a springboard into turning from evil and living for God. We also invited both boys back to Camp the following year which would have been this year.

Brian took us up on our invitation and we couldn’t have been more proud of him. He is truly (despite his Dad being an alcoholic) trying to live for God the best he knows how. I told Brian it took a lot of courage to come back to Camp and I was proud of him for it. Brian came over from the west coast to hang out with our sons and he spent the night here last night. He plans to attend Teen Week which starts on this Sunday. Keep Brian in your prayers.

Keep us in your prayers as we fly out of Orlando this coming Saturday at 9a.m. Love you guys.

Comments:
Give hugs to everybody there for me. And please stay away from the bar at the Wood Ranch . . .well, maybe not if Randy is not coming.

Peace.
 
Judy - Hugs from you headed west bound.

Puckster - No falling out of booths at the Wood Ranch since Randy will not be there.
 
Greg - Yes and prepare for the West Cocoa invasion. That is until we have to travel down the freeway to Temecula.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?