Thursday, June 15, 2006

Worship

Romans 12:1 - Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.

Dan Holland from the Metro Church of Christ in Orlando spoke on this verse last night at our church. He had a great message. In my opinion, the cause of Christ would be greatly enhanced if his people thought of worship as all we do in life. Perhaps the many unfortunate times that Christians have acted in an un-Christ like way towards each other in the name of “defending the truth” could have been avoided. Dan mentioned the danger if Christians “compartmentalizing their lives” if they don’t see their life as worship. In other words, acting one way when we’re out their on the “front lines of life” and acting differently when we’re inside a church building.

Speaking of life as being worship, our youth group is preparing to embark to the banks of the Ohio River in Parkersburg, West Virginia, to participate in the Mid-Ohio Valley Workcamp. That’s right, we just got back from a week of Bible Camp and now, 7 days later, we’re headed out on a major road trip again. In fact, the wife and I will be celebrating our 25th on the Tuesday of Workcamp.

Just so you don’t think I’m “romantically challenged,” I do plan on taking Barb out to dinner that night and then staying somewhere off campus (Ohio Valley University) for the night. Hopefully I’ll have all of the paint out of my hair before the evening’s activities.

Back to our trip, when we arrive on Sunday afternoon along with over 600 other teens, we’ll be broken up into “Work Crews.” Each crew gets a home to scrape, prime, and paint in 4 days. All of this at no expense to the home owner who we hope to be “Jesus” to during our week.

I’ll end with my favorite Workcamp story. One of the board members, Teddy, told us how he was speaking with an elderly lady whose home he was proposing to paint. As with most of us when we’re told something is free, she wanted to know the “catch.” Her neighbor happens to be in the living room with them and heard Teddy’s proposal. She immediately said, “Sue, (fictional homeowner’s name) these people are from the Churches of Christ. This is what they do every summer.”

Teddy’s point was, isn’t it nice to be known as a people that serves and not folks who “don’t believe in music” or think they’re the only ones going to Heaven.

Got to go buy a paint brush and scraper. Love you guys.

Comments:
I'll be thinking about you. I did WorkCamp here in Memphis for 5 years. Great week, long week, hard week. Hope yours is the best.
And happy anniversary - paint your hair silver in honor of the 25th.
 
Wow. That last story might just get me through the next 10 controversies at my own church.
 
Ha! Good story. Peace to you on your journey.

When you get back we need to have a Charlie and Jake's meeting to talk about camp.
 
Some of the greatest memories I have in Youth Ministry took place a t a work camp. It is one of the most growing times in our teen's lives to help others who can't help themselves. Thanks Cecil for your heart.
 
I've never heard of work camp. It must be a great experience.

Lots of folks ask us what the catch is with the free English Conversation classes offered through Let's Start Talking. They can't get over the fact that it's free, and if they never come to church, we won't stop helping them.

It kind of makes them feel uncomfortable.
 
Great to learn of your plans to be at the OVU work camp. As of this morning I was planning to be there, with our three children that remain in the home, along with a couple of teenagers from our church family.

Things are changing moment-by-moment, though. My wife may be the one doing the taking, because I may be conducting a funeral for a dear friend who, although she has been ill, unexpectedly took a turn for the worse and had to be rushed by ambulance to the hospital last night.

When her husband called early this morning I was so glad to see his name come up on the caller ID. When I heard this voice, I knew something was wrong. It's been a sad day in Delaware.

I'll be heading back to the hospital momentarily. The decision regarding removal of life support has been made. It's just a matter of time now. Sorry to be such a bummer, but would appreciate you and your friends prayers on the behalf of these dear friends.
 
Greg - Consider it done.
John - The "silver color" will remind me to take my "Centrum Silver."
Steve - All of our churches should strive for such a reputation in our communities.
Puckster - We'll have that C&J meeting when I return.
Keith - You're right about that. Good to hear from you.
Brady - It is if I can keep from falling off a ladder.
Bill - I would have loved to have met you in person at OVC or is it OVU now. May God be with you and your good friend's family during this time.
 
If you drive just a "little" further you can come visit us in Milwaukee, :-)

Sounds wonderful.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
Stoned-Campbell Disciple
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?