Monday, June 12, 2006

Post Camp Report

As I type this latest / post camp / post we here in Central Florida are under a Tornado Watch due to the impending arrival of our first hurricane (already Lord?) of the season. I’ve wanted to call the Camp up to see if any campers cancelled from this week and how the camp itself was faring under the worsening conditions. The Camp being north of us will receive stronger storms than we will here in beautiful West Cocoa.

I can say that despite the efforts of the men that I described as “Assassins” in a previous post, God was at work during our week. I’m still convinced that if Pat Pugh had been at our week, the response would have been overwhelming. Pat just has that way with teens. We wish him well in the upcoming camp at Rochester College.

I can think of three things that were evidence of God working at our week:
1. There were 9 precious souls baptized into Christ during our week.
2. We had almost 160 campers, the most ever for our week.
3. The teens from our church (Central) truly acted in a Christ-like manner despite being disappointed by some Brothers who acted in an un-Godly way.

Side Bar for Elvis (commented on my “Assassins Post) if he is reading:
You mentioned something to the effect of if you were not a member of the Church of Christ and you had read my “Assassins Post,” you would avoid our fellowship or something to that effect.

First – I wouldn’t blame anyone with that kind of reaction. The way these men acted was un-Christ-like and boiled down to plain black-mail. However, I would add that as Tom (our Baptist Brother) kind of pointed out, this kind of un-scriptural (in light of Jesus’ words in Matthew) behavior unfortunately pervades many Christian fellowships, not just ours.

Second and to complete #3 –
Most Christian adults who would find themselves in the position our teens found themselves in, being disappointed in Pat being un-invited to our week of Camp, would have either cancelled from attending our week or would have blasted the Camp’s Director when they arrived at Camp. I’m happy that neither one happened.

First – We didn’t have a single teen cancel from coming to Camp.
Second – At the end of the week the Camp Director told me that to a teen, each of our teens had spoken to him saying that they were disappointed that Pat wasn’t at our week but they realized that he too had been black-mailed. They hugged him and told him that they loved him and the Camp. He told me that his faith in being a director of the Bible Camp had been re-newed.

And with that I’ll say that the future of our Restoration Movement will be in good hands if we adults we’ll just get out of their way and allow them to be Jesus to the world.

Thank you God for allowing me to catch a glimpse of our future.

Comments:
Please, please, please, Greg. Don't spend our summers so fast. Every day of it is a blessing.

Cecil, I just want to say that I'm proud you're my brother.
 
Romans 8:28.

All things work together. forget the assassins. They are no match for the living God!
 
Good post camp report, bro. I also felt the hand of God at work in our camp, especially at our Friday night testimonial bonfire.

Peace.

(By the way, interesting word origin for "bonfire"–ORIGIN late Middle English : from bone + fire . The term originally denoted a large open-air fire on which bones were burned (sometimes as part of a celebration), also one for burning heretics or proscribed literature)
 
Cecil I am glad to hear your week at camp was a blessed one. God works inspite of his people's foolishness at times.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
Out of the mouth of babes. I am so proud of those teens. I remember working with teens full time and see so many times they did just what your teens did.

It is the same on the ball field. If the parents would stay home coaching would be a breeze.

God bless you brother.
 
Glad you survived the camp and were blessed by it. We missed you.
 
I was a minister and missionary in Africa with the Church of Christ, Florida College variety, my roommate from Cocoa, and am roughly your contemporary. Glad to see you are doing these camps. Check out a free new book I wrote online at www.landofcanaan.info
Hope you like it.

Thanks,

Paul
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?