Saturday, June 03, 2006

Baseball Feelings

" The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again. Oh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.” James Earl Jones from the movie “Field of Dreams.”

This scene and quote came to me yesterday. I was feeling pretty down about the events (see previous post) surrounding our Bible Camp. The Lord saw fit to follow my “pity party” with a stint back in the press box yesterday announcing my son’s 18 and Under AAU baseball game. There is something “pure” about baseball. Oh, I have been a witness to the same kind of Little League Boardroom politics such as the kind that took place at our Bible Camp these past few days. But when that first pitch is thrown out or in my case, the starting lineups are announced, all that is good and pure about baseball takes over.

I met with our teens following the game to give them the details of Pat’s “un-invitation” to our camp. Our teens were great. Disappointed, yes, but they reacted as I prayed they would. They agreed with me that we needed to be “Jesus” to the Camp.

My good friend Greg asked me how we would do such a thing. I told the teens that we would accomplish this task through the power of the Holy Spirit working in our lives by:

1. Going to Camp.
2. Praying and believing that God would still use our week in a mighty way.
3. Praying and loving on my good friend and Camp Director, Larry.
4. Praying for Pat and the men who brought these sad events about.
5. Asking God to help them (the teens) not repeat the same mistakes in their lives by dealing with conflict as Jesus would have us to do.

Thanks for the support from yesterday my dear blog family. I head of for Bible Camp later today. I have to leave now to announce another game for my son.

Love you guys.

Comments:
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13, TNIV)
 
Cecil, I read both of these blogs tonight and my heart is heavy for you my brother. It is so hard to deal with those people who try and destroy others in the name of "sound doctrine." In fact it is impossible to try and please them. You can take the high road every time and they will allow you to do so just to get their way.

I admire your teens and you my brother. Thanks for being the kind of shepherd that leads those kids toward Jesus even when it doesn't seem like that is what you want to do.

I pray for your enemies that they will see Jesus and repent beore He comes again. May God bless you in all that you do for Him.

Have a great camp week! Remember too that there is no reason for you to ever have your "tail tucked" when Jesus is the reason you do what you do. He said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." You can take that to the bank.
 
Sounds like a good plan, one that will make champions out of you all and glorify God.
 
I read your post about the "un-invitation" and didn't comment. I had a lousy cold and sometimes the filter between my brain and mouth (or in this case, typing-hands) doesn't work very well when I'm sick. So I refrained.

One of the things that I dread about being an elder is having to deal with closed-minded ignorance. God needs to make me more diplomatic before I take on those reins.

I admire your approach. You're in my prayers. He will be glorified...in SPITE of some who call themselves disciples.

In the meantime, there is baseball. People will come, Cecil. Ooooohhhhhh, people will come.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?