Thursday, June 01, 2006

Assasins

First, let me apologized for the extended absence. This is the time of year that “we” ramp up for Bible Camp. By my count this is my 22nd summer directing a week of Bible Camp at the Central Florida Bible Camp and sadly (apologies for the melodrama) it may be my last.

Until this year, I’ve never as a “Coordinator” had to clear any special speakers or groups through the Camp Director or Board. A few weeks ago an email was sent out by the Camp Director requesting the names of “special speakers” or groups. Being the honest boy that I am, I answered honestly. We were inviting an inner-city minister from Cincinnati, Pat Pugh, to speak at our week. We had first come across Pat two years ago at the Mid-Ohio Valley Work Camp. Pat spoke powerfully and boldly to our teens. In the span of 3 days 33 precious teens were baptized into Christ and the teens, didn’t want worship to stop each night. I likened it to a “mini-Pentecost.”

As a little background, Pat spoke at SonQuest (a large youth gathering of about 5000 during Labor Day Weekend in Orlando) 2 years ago. He was scheduled to speak at Teen Week in the coming summer. Apparently he said some things that riled some of these “Assassins” up. They threatened the Camp with a mass boycott so the Camp Director was forced into telling Teen Week he couldn’t allow Pat to speak at Teen Week. Anybody ready to throw up yet?
By the way, not one person from the Camp or the Teen Week Staff bothered to call Pat to tell him he was uninvited. Don’t we just have a wonderful way of treating brothers and sisters in Christ?

So, yours truly decides to invite him to our week. Pat accepts. We announce it at our church and we have the largest number of kids (150) headed to our week. Our week of camp starts this coming (in 3 days) Sunday. Pat was scheduled to fly into Orlando tomorrow.

Long story short:
1. The Camp Director calls me yesterday as I’m driving up to church to inform me that 3 different coordinators are threatening to pull out of camp.
2. The Camp Director asks if Pat will sign a statement saying he will not mention “communion” or the “Holy Spirit.”
3. I call Pat with my tail between my legs, embarrassed that I’m a member of a movement that can be held hostage to these assassins.
4. Pat’s reaction is so much more like Jesus than mine, the camp’s, or these assassins.
5. Pat talks to the Camp Director.
6. The Camp Director tells me he is “impressed with Pat” but still has a hard decision to make.
7. Decision came down today, Pat can’t come to Camp.
8. I ask for the assassins names. I also asked why the assassins were not directed to me, Pat, or my fellow coordinator first before their complaints were heard.

I’m meeting with our 49 teens and their parents tomorrow. I will inform them of the decision the camp has made and all the details behind it. I will also plead for our teens to still come to our week of Camp and to be “Jesus” to a Camp that hasn’t acted in the same manner.

At the end of our week I have a decision to make. If I had to make that decision today it would be the end of my association with the Camp. I had always dreamed that my son would be a counselor for me one year. I thought that year would be next year. I guess I was wrong. Then again, I was wrong about a lot of things this week.

What a way to come back blogging. Sorry gang.

Comments:
What are these people so afraid of? I googled Pat and he looks pretty legitimate to me. Why do we have to go on witch hunts?
 
I with you bro every step of the way. We will get it done together.

I don't like starting our week with such a downer. I will pray for your meeting and if all else fails we can "drown" our sorrows at Don Pablos on Saturday.

I do believe that in the power of the Holy Spirit and with the attitude of the Lord Jesus we will overcome.

Peace.
 
Pat Pugh is a dear brother in Christ known and loved by this blogger. I've communed with Pat Pugh. I talked with him about the Holy Spirit. I have learned many things from both the life and teaching of Pat Pugh.

He is a sinner saved by grace just like the rest of us; but, few people I know have lives to match their words like Pat Pugh does.

This breaks my heart. I shudder to think how Pat's older brother in the faith feels about this.
 
Keeping on and doing what you need to do, knowing that children will be blessed through it… Sounds like you're doing the right thing no matter what others do.
 
Wow. Are you sure you're all not Baptists?

There are charismaniacs and charisphobes in every group, I suppose, regardless of the denomination.

All I can say is (and it's easy for me to say, I'm not going thru this) Do not grow weary in doing good...
 
My heart aches when I read about these kinds of things going on. Most of the time I manage to remain distant from it. Sorry for the stress it puts in your life.
 
I meet with our 49 teens tonight so I might as well get some practice in, so, my fellow bloggers:
Vonnie - Thanks for the comment. "Witch hunts" are the dark side of being attached to a community of faith.

Janice - Very true.

Puckster - I couldn't nor would I do it without you. First round of Margaritas are on me.

Greg - Thanks for the sleepless (but I am sorry) night and the call. It meant a lot to me.

BW - I envy you. Pat is a very special person.

Brady - Thanks.

Tom - We are all "Baptists" or "CoCers" when it comes to this one dark side of our respective communities of Faith. Thanks for the encouragement.

Judy - Good to hear from you again and thanks.

John - Thanks my Brother.
 
I admit that I do not know who Pat Pugh is. Apparently to my loss.

What exactly was the reasoning behing this sectarian behavior? Is Pat not "Church of Christ?" Is he a loose canon? Did you ever get some names of the Ninjas?

One of the saddest thing about "Christian" Camp that I have dealt with over the last 4 or 5 years being on camp boards is the UNchristian attitudes I frequently encounter.

I feel your pain and your dismay.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
You can read Pat's short bio at

http://rc.edu/elevate/

He the featured speaker at Rochester College's Elevate.

The topic is:

Priceless: It's time to Expose the Truth.

How ironic in light of our experience these past few days.

Peace.
 
Bobby - Pat is a member (to at least some of us) of our fellowship. He runs an inner city ministry in Cinncinatti.

He has been branded a "false teacher" by some of our Florida folks because he said at a large youth gathering comments to the effect of:

1. The Lord's Supper can be a celebration.

2. He knows the Holy Spirit (Pat would use "Ghost") has directed him in his life.

Sad, isn't it.
 
Funny - I have thought the Lord's Supper is a celebration for years! Do they think it is a (what is the antonym for 'celebration?') funeral or something? Why did the early church call it "eucharist?"

Ah, they old Holy Spirit doctrine. Do they feel they have never been led by the Spirit (Romans 8.9ff; 8.14; etc)

Are they just prejudiced against the poor?
 
I just visited the RC site. I leid . . . but I did not mean to. I know both Pat (via Harding Grad) and Dion Frazier (on the docket).

I hate to suggest this, and I might regret it . . . if so we can delete it . . . are you sure this is not a racial thing?

may God have mercy . . .

bobby v
 
Bobby - We just "celebrated" Memorial Day. "Celebration" in my opinion can range from observance, a somber reflection time, or a feeling and even and outward sign of exuberance.

Jesus himself in the NIV version says, "I go to "celebrate" the Passover." I wonder if our "assassins" would allow him at our week of camp?

Randy - It is in the works as we speak.
 
I have gone down memory lane. Pat used to work with the Downtown Church in Memphis with MUM (Memphis Urban Ministries).

I do not understand the problem with bringing him there to camp. I would never have a problem with him speaking at Southside.

Shalom,
Bobby V
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?