Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Tears of Joy

I did not get up this morning in Malibu expecting to have an emotional moment much less shed some tears, but I did. You might wonder why a "manly man" such as yours truly might do such a thing? Was it because I found out that Randy wasn’t bunking with us in our dorm room but rather was staying with some family members “up the hill” in faculty housing? I do love my brother but no, it wasn’t the reason for my tears.

Was it when Greg, yes Greg, my devoted friend and brother for many moons attended an (say it together bloggers) 8:30 a.m. lecture with us? I must say that I came close but no, I didn’t shed tears of joy for Greg’s presence but it was great to have him with us early risers.

Was it the fact that today is no longer (“KDD”) Keith Davis Day? I love my new found friend and brother but no, this wasn’t the reason either.

The source of my tears was a video shown in the class taught by Rick Atchley and Bob Russell. Atchley is the preaching minister of the largest Church of Christ in the U.S. while Bob Russell is the preaching minister of Southeast Christian in Louisville, Kentucky, a 20,000 member Christian Church. The video was of Rick Atchley speaking to a convention of Christian Church members outlining his proposal for our 2 fellowships to restore unity between ourselves after 100 years of separation.

The thoughts that were going through my head as tears were welling up in my eyes were of Jesus in the shadow of the Cross-, praying for unity among His believers. The fact that our 2 fellowships, born out of the same movement, a movement initially of unity had been separated for a century. A movement who’s plea was “we want to be just Christians but not the only Christians” but who had somehow strayed far from the Biblical concept of unity.

As I sat there listening to Atchley address the Christian Church Convention and to hear their members applaud and affirm him was just over-whelming.
We have the beginnings of a relationship with the local Christian church back home. I was inspired both to tears and to action to make it even better.

Comments:
And I know exACTly what I'm going to be praying about tonight.

Awesome thoughts, brother. I think unity should be a primary concern for us. Keep the faith.
 
Great report bro. Keep the info coming. I'm missing all those great moments. What a year to stay in Florida!

Hugs to everybody.

Peace.
 
Steve - Thanks Bro. Hope you're vacation is going well.

Puck - We're missing you too.
 
I know what you mean about that session. It was very emotional and encouraging. I appreciate you my brother and our new friendship. I hope to get to come to Cocoa one day and bring my family!!
 
Keith - It's been great to hang out with you. You and the family have a standing invitation to stay with us in beautiful downtown West Cocoa.

Judy - Now that is interesting. Let me know how the vote turns out.
 
I bet that was amazing! Thanks for sharing. I am missing it again this year but know that my Mom (bless her) will be buying me lots of tapes and videos of the lectures she liked best.
Have a great week.

glenda
 
very, very cool...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?