Monday, May 01, 2006

Random West Coast Thoughts

Some random thoughts from Long Beach:

This is my 15th straight year hanging out at the England’s as we acclimate to Pacific Coast Time. I’m amazed as I think back to how all of our lives have changed over these 15 years such as kids growing up, changing churches, and just plain getting older. Even the friends that we’ve hung out with have changed over the years.

This year is special because of the advent of “blogging.” Through it a bunch of guys who have grown close to each other in a cyberspace kind of way are now here at Greg’s getting to know each other the “old fashion way.”

The “old fashion way” has consisted of a run to Wal-Mart. BTW – As Greg, Randy, Chuck, Keith, and I were walking together through the Electronic Department, one of the store workers asked if we were “blowing off work?” Randy responded by saying, “We” were a bunch of ministers who only worked one day a week.”

Our other activities were a Krispy Kreme (5 guys / 1 dozen doughnuts/ with 2 left over – we were good) run and about 3 hours of several “hilarious” “Pig basketball games.” I won’t say who won the most games but if you’d like to use the words “dominant” and “Cecil” feel free. However, I was unable to join Randy and Keith in their exclusive “3 Made Half court Granny Shots Club.”

We also picked up John at the airport and due to the “Illegal Alien Protest” in downtown L.A., the freeways were clear enough to get John back in time to become a “Pig participant.”

Dinner was at Roadhouse and several of us took advantage of the “tri-tip selection.” We’re now sitting around Greg’s Family Room awaiting the start of “24.”

Final/Final Random Thoughts:
1. The Lord has truly blessed Greg’s son, Joshua. His soon to be wife, Heather, is a very sweet, beautiful young lady. I can only hope my son does half as well as Josh.
2. The instrumental praise service Sunday night was outstanding. Keith on Drums, Randy and Greg on guitar truly did an outstanding job.
3. Janice is a saint to put up with us.

2 Prayer Requests:
1. Nathen Defrenn – My friend in South Carolina’s 13 year old(?) son. He broke his leg at baseball practice shagging a fly ball. A lemon size cyst was found on the bone that broke. He was to have surgery today.
2. Ron Cummins – Had surgery on his bladder yesterday. A malignant tumor was removed. The doctors were optimistic the cancer had not spread.
We leave for Pepperdine tomorrow.

Comments:
Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would be jealous over a game of PIG.

Glad you guys are having fun. I really think I should get to go sometime. It's a whole lot closer to me than it is to you.
 
Steve - I think so as well.

Today's game of "Pig" might be the most fun I've had in years.
 
prayer's going up for both. Are you sure you will even make it lectures? or go to classes? HA HA!!
Glenda
 
So, CECIL, you were DOMINATEd in PIG? They should have been nicer to you since you were a guest.
 
You guys are having way too much fun already. Forget the behaving part. I've hung out with this group before. Please be sure to find out from Greg for me which "lecture" he will be attending and I will get the CD to see how many "disruptions" or "cigarette smoking" incidents there are.

Don't ask me what any of that means.

War pig and roll tide.

Peace.
 
Sounds wonderful. Jealous Hoosier here. This is a weekend you will treasure for decades.
 
Shelby - Praise God. Tell Nathen we'll continue to pray for him.

Brady - In this case being a "big piggy" was a good thing.

Puck - We miss your "calming presence."
News flash about Greg and lecture attendance in my next blog.

Tom - Thanks for the comment and we wish you could be here with us.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?