Monday, May 22, 2006

Lights



I almost feel like I’m “piling on” with this post (given the number of graduation posts I've read in the last few days) but the events of this past weekend spur me on so if I am, please forgive me. We attended the graduation of our good friends’ son, Tyler, this past Saturday. In two years I will sit in the very same seats as we’ll be attending our own son’s graduation. The graduation ceremony was held in Cocoa High’s Football Stadium which may be one of the best high school facilities in the state of Florida.

We were sitting in the seats pictured at the right during the ceremony. Although the picture doesn’t show it that well, if you looked across the field towards the Visitors Stands, you could see the lights of our Little League Field. I couldn’t help but flashback (watched too many episodes of “Kung Fu” during the 70’s) to just a few years ago when those lights stood over a field that was the “center of our universe.”

Both Steven and Tyler played Little League which always led into All Stars. The year that Steven was 10 our All Star Team made it to the State Tournament and we literally ended our season on the day before school started back. As I thought about conversations, games, practices, and post-games talks that took place less than a quarter mile from where we were sitting for this high school graduation ceremony, I was struck at how quickly time moves.

Like the flipping of a switch to turn a light on or off, so it seems that time moves as fast when it comes to our kids. May God bless all the graduates of the Class of 2006.

Comments:
Good post, grasshopper.

Hard to believe our boys/girls are graduating and moving toward graduation.

I'm happy Tyler found a good school and hope he does well.

We've seen them grow up at camp for sure and will see more this year.

Peace.
 
Ahh, I can hear the familiar toness of Elgar now. Pass the Kleenex, please.
 
So, in 2 years Steven will be able to snatch the pebble from your hand?

Congrats to all of them. Each year brings a lot of joy and sadness around here come Graduation time. There are some kids I can't wait to see off. And many that I will greatly miss.
 
Totally off subject but if you've ever dealt with disgruntled (like none of us have ever had this experience) church members, read Wade Hodges' post today.
http://wadehodges.com/
 
Greg - You brought a tear to my eye with the reminder of a sweet memory.

To all - The first "home" my wife and I lived in was a 12 X 50 trailer. We both worked, we didn't have a dish washer, my wife cooked so hence, I became the dishwasher.

Invariably my Dad (retired Army Sergeant/born and raised in Alabama/genetically predisposed to be a character) would call while I was in the midst of my “husbandly duties.” My Dad would ask, “Boy, what are you doing?” I would answer, “Dishes Dad.” He would reply, “Boy, you have “hen-house ways.”” I would try to save face by saying, “But Dad, I’m a man of the 80’s.” To which he would reply, “You may be a man of the 80’s but you’d be a wimp in the 60’s.”

I would give anything to have one more phone call like that from him.
 
Disgruntled church members???? What kind of church do you go to? Obviously not a feel good gospel church!

Peace.
 
Your picture reminded me of Grisham's book "bleachers".

As for dishwashing, I didn't know you were such a wimp.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?