Tuesday, May 23, 2006

1981

Twenty-five years ago, 1981. Did anything significant take place in your life then? Baseball fans, do you remember the 49 day strike or the Dodgers beating the evil empire 4 games to 2 in the World Series that year? Can you identify the Series MVP? I couldn’t since there was not one, not two, but a three way tie for MVP between Ron Cey, Pedro Guerrero, and Steve Yeager.

Do you remember Bob (I’ll throw chairs/beat up Puerto Rican Policemen) Knight’s Indiana Hoosiers beating Dean Smith's Tar Heels, 63 – 50 for the NCAA Basketball Championship? Or how about the Oakland (win baby, win) Raiders winning the Super Bowl over “Jaws" and the Eagles, 27 – 10?

Do you remember the top grossing movies of 1981? I’ll give you “five” guesses.

Stumped? Come on, it’s only been a quarter century? O.K., they were:

5. Stripes
4. Nine to Five
3. Stir Crazy
2. Superman II
1. Raiders of the Lost Ark

So why all the fascination with 25 years ago and 1981? It was 25 years ago that I started this journey, teaching kids. Today is the last day of school here in beautiful East Central Florida. 25 years ago I had 28 days of “bachelorhood” left in my life. I was going to church then but it was mainly for the social aspect not to mention that I had to attend to play on the church softball team.

Greg can tell you that even when he met me, sports was my world. I didn’t just watch it, I played it year round. 3 different softball leagues year round and throw in a little City League Basketball. In 1981 I “liked” God and I was thankful that He had provided a softball team to play on. If you would have told me 25 years ago that I would be in church leadership I probably would have asked you, “Do they have a softball team?” I think I just digressed just a bit.

Anyway, here I sit about ready to bid “adieu” to my 25th group of students. If I think about it (which I don’t like to too often), the first group of kiddos I taught (if you consider the youngest could have been 12) are now approaching 40! Can we all say “Geezer?”

I thought I would end and maybe entertain you as well, with some comments students wrote about me this year in some writing exercises our Language Arts Teachers passed on to us.

Enjoy.

1. The moment you walk through his classroom you can tell he is ready to have an exciting time with math.
2. Every day he teaches with a smile on his face.
3. Mr. Walker handles interruptions in his own unique way.
4. Mr. Walker is by far my favorite and the best math teacher I have ever met.
5. Out of the whole school, he is the one person who is smart and fun at the same time.
6. He uses complex words, sayings, and facts to catch our attention.
7. Mr. Walker is fun!
8. Over all he is kind and caring, everyone in his class is treated good and respectfully.
9. He is a very cool teacher.
10. He is happy most of the time and that’s pretty tight.
11. I have to admit at times, Mr. Walker can be very annoying but he is funny.
12. Mr. Walker is very different from my other teachers.

Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
That's "Mr." Geezer to all your students. To me, you're just a kid.

Congratulations! A quarter century is quite an accomplishment - and to still love teaching - wow! (You did say you still love teaching didn't you?) I'll bet there are a few students you'd like to mgnpkgag.
 
Geezer. Heh.

Congratulations on your Ag anniversary. Oops, sorry...slipped in a periodic table reference there. Wrong subject matter.

I have a feeling that we have very similar styles. Your kids may not know it, but they are blessed to have you. Your passion for them and for the subject is obvious, as is your respect for the profession.

As a reward, I will now share with you a letter that one of MY kids gave me last week:

"Thank you for making me sit right in front of you. I appreciate it very much. Even though Math class is my least favorite class in school and you're not my favorite teacher. I thought it would be nice to thank you for not being an English teacher."

Aren't they sweet?
 
Oh, and since "Raiders" is my favorite movie of all time, I nailed the 1981 quiz.

"Get back to Cairo. Get us some transport to England. Boat. Plane. Anything. Meet me at Omar's. Be ready for me. I'm going after that truck."

"How Indy?"

"I don't know, I'm making this up as I go."
 
John - Good to know that to a few select folks I'm still a young'un.

Randy - I get the same reaction from most folks when they ask me what I do for a living? "Math Teacher" - yuck! I might as well say I work for the IRS.

Greg - Just call me #11.

Steve - I busted out laughing. Not only do we share similar styles I wonder if we also share students as well.

Judy - You're in cahoots with Randy? Say it ain't so. "Discounts" - you see Math can be exciting.
 
Thanks for sharing this milestone. I never got a chance to go to Christian camp as a "youngster" but I have been involved in MS and WI for the last 6 years and have loved every moment of it. I must say I like it in WI better than MS though . . . not nearly as hot!

On a different note, those are some of my favorite movies. Except Nine to Five. Stripes was Bill Murray at his best and Raiders of the Lost Ark is classic art. You make me want to go to Blockbuster.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
World renowned Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung wrote:

***An understanding heart is everything in a teacher, and cannot be esteemed highly enough. One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feeling. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.***

If he had never written this we would know it to be true. For we have all seen young lives, lives which seem by virtue of family of origin and social status to be fixed, redirected by the influence of godly school teachers.

God bless you, brother. Your days are spent in one of the richest mission fields on earth. May your tribe increase!
 
Those are wonderful things that the students said about you. Fantastic. I hope you can truly appreciate what you mean to them.

Keep up the good work and, most of all, rest up this summer!
 
I thought those were comments made about the Senior Director at Central Florida Bible Camp!?!?

I've always thought you would make an excellent administrator, but I'm glad you have choosen to serve as a Shepherd and as a camp coordinator friend and brohammer.

Peace.
 
A lot of famous people were married in 1981. Charles & Di, Tom and Deb, .....
 
Bobby - Our camp takes place during the first week of June which makes it relatively cooler than the other "weeks" but I'm sure not as cool as camp in WI.

BW - Thanks and nice quote from Jung.

Brady - I pull out comments like the ones I posted to keep me going in the "down times." May one summer we can come visit you and "pump you up."

Puckster - Appreciate the comments and I have thought about going into Admin many a time. I still enjoy the kiddos and my favorite Sr. Camp Director.

Tom - Congrats to you and Deb. Give us a Queen Elizabeth wave.
 
Great blog "geeze." Or is that "elder geeze?" That line up of comments is better than any award you could receive. I'm glad you shared them with us. I hope youi get to teach many more years. If I had had a math teacher like you, I might have actually passed. ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?