Friday, April 07, 2006

What Really Matters



I was proud of my boy last night but don't stop here. Please read on. Steven was a bit frustrated last night at our game against Palm Bay. It was the third game that he did not get to play other than pinch-run. But what a pinch-runner he was as Steven, my son, my boy, scored the game winning run in our come-back win against Palm Bay! We were down 9 to 4 in the bottom of the 7th and rallied back to win 10 to 9. A freshman got the game winning hit and Steven slid head first across homeplate. Both the boys were picked up by the rest of the team and carried around the field. It was a heart-warming sight. I was proud of my boy.

Later that evening, around 10:30pm, my wife came into the living room and motioned for me to come into Steven’s room. We always pray with Steven at night and I thought this was my obligatory summons. Then I realized that she was giving me the sign for “come over here quietly and peek in his room.”

What did we see? We saw our soon to be 16 year old reading a “Teen Devotional Book.” Right next to him in bed was his Bible. That was the proudest moment of the entire day! We told him that we were so proud of his faith. I told Steven the game winning run he scored tonight paled in comparison to the positive, long term effects of his desire to grow closer to God through the reading of His Word.

Steven looked at me and said, “Dad, that’s weird. I was reading a selection about patience and it pretty much said what you just stated.”

I’m proud of my boy. Thank you God.

Comments:
Thanks Judy. I'm reminded of that line from the song "Butterfly Kisses" about "I must have done something right."

I'm at a loss at times for how to raise a teen but we just keep plugging away with the Lord's help.

I'll pass along the "props." to Steven.
 
Best post of the day I've seen around the blogosphere. Makes me wanna sing
 
Thanks Tom.
 
you are very Blessed! :)
 
Jel - Thanks and welcome to the blog family.

Randy- Thanks Bro and we'll keep trying.
 
Thanks! :)
 
Always great to see faith growing in our children. Keep it up, Steven.
 
A few months ago I got to go with my daughter to see Chronicles of Narnia. She's just 9 years so I had to expalin that it was an allegory and what the author was really trying to say. It brought me to tears whenthey camo the part where Peter is forgiven and accepted by Aslan. My littel girl leaned over to me and whispered in an astonished voice, "He's giving him a second chance!"

"Ahh, she's getting the message" I thought to myself with tears in my eyes. I don't think I'll everforget that moment.

Thanks for sharing your story. I hope to have some moments like that in the next few years.
 
Joel - Thanks for the comment and welcome the blog family.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?