Friday, April 21, 2006

Looking Ahead



It's Friday family and I'm looking ahead. BTW, the above picture isn't a current (or past) one of yours truly but I have a hat like the one he is wearing.

I am looking ahead to several upcoming events. Tomorrow our youth guy is borrowing our home to host a “Youth Group Open House.” This is mainly for the incoming sixth-soon-to-be seventh graders at our church. It’s kind of the Youth Group’s way of saying “Welcome” to the Youth Group. Because I have “last period planning” I’ll be leaving school early to tackle the job of cleaning our pool and patio.

On Sunday we’ll resume meeting with our Life Group. We cancelled last week’s meeting due to family gatherings for Easter. I love the intimacy of our small group.

Monday starts the Class 4A – District 13 High School Baseball Tournament. We’re hosting the tournament which means I’ll be back in the Announcer’s Chair for most of next week. My son, Steven, plays in the first game on Monday vs. Cocoa Beach High. We have to win that game and then one on Wednesday to make it to the Championship game.

Next week will be busy for me as I get ready to do the dreaded task that Randy talked about in his post (http://randywray.blogspot.com/) from yesterday; getting ready to leave home for an extended period of time. For the 15th year in a row, I’ll be flying out on Saturday to hang out with Greg and attend the Pepperdine Bible Lectures. This annual migration to the left coast has been a Godsend in many ways for me and my family over the years.

First, I love Greg and his family. They are closer to me than any “blood” family that I have. As Mike Cope said one year, “Water is thicker than blood.” I’ve always told Greg that although the Lectures have been a blessing to me, the time I’ve gotten to spend with Greg, Jan, Josh, and Jessica (O.K. – I’ll throw in Cujo, I mean Chipper) has always been the highlight of my year. I thank God that He has made this possible for the last 15 (thank you Delta Pilots for settling with the company) years as well as having an understanding and loving wife.

I do want to thank Jerry Rushford for putting together the Bible Lectures. For years they were my Oasis as I floundered at a church that was given a steady diet of sermons on such meaningful topics as “The False Teaching in the song, “Just A Little Talk With Jesus Makes Me Whole”” and “The Sin of Clapping.” It was the “Grace-Oriented / Jesus Focused” classes and lectures at the Pepperdine Lectures that kept me going throughout the year. Thankfully God opened a door at another church and I was able to get away from that environment but I continue to feast at the Pepperdine Lectures.

So I’m looking forward family. I’m looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Is there anything you’re looking forward to in the coming days?

Have a good weekend.


Comments:
Rock on it at Pepperdine. I think we will be up for Charlie and Jake's party on Friday, April 28, if that works for your family. Can we meet at the one on Eau Gallie Blvd?

I think Kelsey and I will meet you at Cocoa High for game on Monday at 4.

I talked with Trey Battle yesterday, from West Orange CofC, and current Ohio Valley freshman and he will be coming to our week of camp again. Another counselor for boys's side of camp.

Three guys from Gulf Coast Church are Sean McAfee, youth minister there, Alexander Caldwell, and Matt Caldwell. Boys side of camp is looking good.

This is a camp web blog isn't it?

Peace
 
Extra guys sound good and yes, this blog doubles as a Camp Blog as well.

Looking forward to seeing you Monday. I will give you and Kelsey a “Press Box Welcome” Cocoa Tiger style.

I’ll check with Barb about Friday but it sounds “goot.”
 
The Pepperdine Lectures are wonderful. I share your enthusiasm (and gratitude) for them.

Hopefully we can run into each other.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
http://stoned-campbelldisciple.blogspot.com
 
Well, it'll be nice to be in the same state with you for awhile. I've always wanted to attend the Lectureship but can never seem to get away this time of year. The AP test is on May 3rd and the universe seems to revolve around it right now.

Safe trip.
 
Greg - I'm sorry, did you say "Band." I need to change my reservations. :)
 
Praise Band? Can we get back to camp???

Good luck on your exam! Lay off the glue sniffing for that week.

Ok, bro, see you Monday.

And please order me some tri-tip and my usually brew while at P'dine. I will gladly pay you on Tuesday.

Peace.
 
or my usual brew? Whichever you prefer.
 
I'm looking forward to lots of firsts next week, Lord willing. First flight, first trip to CA, first Pepperdine lectures, first time preaching west of Texarkana, and certainly the first time ever playing in a praise band. WOW!! I can't wait!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?