Thursday, April 20, 2006

Get in the Habit

I took my son Steven, to his 7:10am orthodontist appointment this morning. Although we had to be on the road by 6:45am to make it in time, the serendipity of this early a.m. excursion was to be able to eat breakfast at a local BBQ place with the crew that cuts the Church’s grass. This group is an eclectic bunch comprised of a former “Sgt. Major of “the” Army, an off duty fireman, and a retired engineer with a local defense company.

In the course of our conversation I asked one of the crew if they had any insight into the recent disappearance of a husband and wife that are members of our church. At one time this couple had been very active members of our church family but had stopped coming for a period of time. After several calls and visits, the couple came back and stated that they were back for “good.”

As it turned out, “good” only lasted a couple of weeks. I had tried to call them several times to no avail. As our conversation continued I found myself “becoming” my mother. No, I didn’t get a wax job on my body. My flashback consisted of a memory of a saying that my mother used to say that as a teen, drove me crazy. My mother used to say that “going to church is a habit and it’s very easy to fall out of the habit of going to church if one isn’t careful.”

As I thought about this wayward couple, a couple who at one time appeared “healthy” spiritually, I couldn’t help but think, Mom, you’re right! Now perhaps the word “habit” isn’t the best word to use. The “habit” must consist of relationships with fellow members as well as with Jesus. But, nevertheless, this couple had fallen out of the habit of coming to church which meant they had fallen away from some relationships. It seemed to me that this made it all the more easier for them to stop coming the second time.

O.K. bloggers, do you agree with my dear Mother or not? Is going to church somewhat of a “habit?”

Have a good day family.

Comments:
I agree. For some, it's more of a joy but many not only attend out of habit, they sit in the same chairs (or pews) and want to sing the same songs and proceed with the same order of service they have for 30 years.

But when asked why we don't celebrate the Lord's Supper every time we assemb;e, their quick reply is "We don't want it to become routine!"
 
Judy - Great comment. I like the going from the "obligation habit" to one of "want to."

Tom - Isn’t that an interesting phenomenon? We crave routine but then we don’t want something else to enter into that realm.
 
Agreed Greg.

Thinking about Mom made me miss her a bit today. She was so full of life and I know she would be right there with us when we come out for Josh's wedding.
 
There is nothing wrong with the word "habit." We might also use the word "discipline." Gathering with the community of faith is a spiritual discipline. In fact some would call it a "MEANS OF GRACE."

It does not "earn" salvation. However it is a "habit" or "discipline" that opens oneself up to the river of the Spirit. Community is (I believe) essential to growing in grace. Even most monks realize that it took a gathering to truly practice Benedict's Rule. Paul says something about this in Eph. 3.17-18. Your mom was a spiritually wise woman. We all need those, :-)

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
http://stoned-campbelldisciple.blogspot.com/
 
Bobby - Good to see you back again. Isn't it amazing how much wiser and smarter our parents become as we grow older.
 
Brad - Check out what Bobby said. I think you two are saying the same thing.
 
After reading all of the insightful comments posted already, I'm not sure I have anything unique to add. In fact, far from unique, my experience has been the same as yours with regard to individuals and families over the years who have fallen out of the "habit" of going to church. And yes, in the sense that we choose to practice certain behaviors and routines in our lives, assembling with the saints is a habit (one which the Hebrews writer says not to neglect - not to fulfill an obligation, but because that's where we receive the encouragement we need to stay faithful until The Day arrives.)
I have said many, many times that if you are going to be faithful, you don't make a decision each Sunday morning when the alarm clock goes off whether you are going to church that day or not. Too many people fall out of the habit because that is their moment of decision, and if we base our decisions on how we feel when the alarm goes off, it's a pretty good bet we won't go half the time. You make that decision once for all as a matter of will and then follow through on it every time the occasion rolls around. You can act yourself into a better way of feeling faster than you can feel yourself into a better way of acting. (Sorry I climbed on my soapbox.) To quote F.G. "That's all I have to say about that."
 
John - Great points. If we're having to think about going or not on Sunday morning, there is a break in our connection with the Lord and with our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?